SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monta_6a

New 6A climbing rose help.

monta_6a
6 years ago

Hi all! New to the site and plan to stay. I am retired military and have found an uncontrollable obsession with growing roses.

I love climbing roses and currently have golden showers which I bought late July and it was cheap. ( good for first trial run ) it came in a 1 gallon pot with a mini lattice and already had flowers but was still rather small in the muscle department. I planted into ground near deck as I’m using it for a privacy screen eventually. I didn’t use any fertilizer. I will this spring. Without fertilizer it grew 2 canes to 5 feet and 3 more to half that but those canes are still skinny a bit. The 2 tallest ones are thick.

So here is what I did. I watered it pretty much every day with a gallon bucket filled up to a 3” line that was marked. One of those green ones from menards. I then got some small lattice with ties and attached 3 canes to the left and 2 to the right. Was scared at first cause I didn’t want to snap a cane. I angled as I read to get more blooms and spur vertical growth which it did.

anyways, got a bad storm and then some strong wind days going into September so I untied the 2 biggest canes and just left them alone. The smaller ones I kept secured. It’s not huge but it definitely isn’t a runt. So the 2 released canes were growing upwards and the tied ones were getting leafy with vertical growth. The flowers on this climber is amazing. Started to get cold so I knew season was ending, the flowers it had remaining were having a tough time blooming open so I cut them off at the bottom of the flower. I read not to prune for first couple years so I just removed the flowers and rose hips. I then staked 4 sturdy stakes in ground rising 6 feet, secured canes lightly to stakes and then wrapped it with burlap. This was around 4th of November and next day we were getting snow storm so I figured it was time. The plant was still green with all its foliage when I wrapped. Lately with weather being erratic it goes from cold to warm etc.... ok now for the questions.

1. Did I wrap it too early for 6A zone? If it was to early what will happen?

2. Was I supposed to remove all foliage myself? Or wait till they fell off?

3. I would like to transplant the Rose into a raised bed 4’ high x 6’ long x 3 1/2’ deep that I built. I’m worried I might hurt it? Will it stunt the growth of the plant if it’s in raised bed (like a pot?)

4. I plan on picking up 4-5 more climbers which at the moment are new eden, Don Juan and possibly Joseph’s coat. I’m using for privacy screens so would like constant rebloom, good growth,vigorous and disease resistant if possible for 6A here in Michigan. Any recommendations? Any color is fine but not flattish roses like iceberg

5. I plan to get from heirloom roses unless someone from Michigan near Ann Arbor knows a great local source or someone recommends good places.

thank you everyone!

again sorry for the long post, but hopefully I can get some guidance and learn some valuable knowledge.

Comments (8)