SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Distractions - VERY photo heavy....

While waiting around for things to happen on the medical front, we've been distracting ourselves with both routine stuff like house repairs

{{gwi:179766}}
and garden work, mixed with lots of day-trips. I thought I'd share some pictures of some of the things we've been up to...

Misty has made a few new friends, both canine

{{gwi:179767}}
and human

{{gwi:179768}}
and sleeps a lot.

{{gwi:179771}}

We've done a fair bit of walking on local walking trails and gardens such as Hamilton beach

{{gwi:179773}}
and Gairloch.

{{gwi:179774}}

We've been in to Toronto several times, both for medical events and recreation. One day we had lunch at a Mexican restaurant in Kensington Market

{{gwi:179779}}
where this Community Vehicular Reclamation Project caught our eye!

{{gwi:179786}}

One day we went to Spadina House

{{gwi:179788}}
to check out the garden there. (Mary - if you are visiting Toronto next year in gardening season, do visit Casa Loma and then go across the street to Spadina house too. Casa Loma was built on property purchased from the Spadina House estate. Spadina House is a much more modest property but there is still a suprising 5 acres or so in the heart of an upscale residental part of central Toronto. The garden isn't big but well worth a visit.)

There's an impressive stone wall draped in wisteria and sweet autume clematis - I think there are roses and likely honeysuckle in there too...) I got stung by a Yellow Jacket within 2 minutes of entering the garden! Those beasts just LOVE me for some reason!!

{{gwi:179789}}
{{gwi:179790}}
There's an attractive greenhouse beside the orchard.

{{gwi:179791}}

We've been to a few smaller gardens in the nearby areas. Unfortunately we didn't get any good pictures from the Old Seedhouse garden. The Canadians here would be familiar with Dominion Seeds. The company was sold in the 1990s to a Quebec company which moved the operations to Quebec and essentially abandoned the growing fields. The story of what happened after that is quite interesting - see link below. There's now a quite nice small garden, tended by volunteers, in what is now a public park in a residential area.

Yesterday we visited another small garden and ecology area. There was an absolutely fascinating sundial there! There was an nice ordinary one

{{gwi:179792}}
but the real attraction was the

{{gwi:179794}}

There is a stone marked with the months and the north arrow.

{{gwi:179796}}
You stand on the stone in the appropriate month and your shadow tells the time on the wall in front of you.

{{gwi:179800}}
There was a flower garden outside the wall that included, appropiately enough, a lot of Mother of Thyme where it met the stone of the sundial's floor

{{gwi:179804}}
There was also the best-looking clump of gaura I've ever seen! For a ruputedly iffy-hardy plant, they were thriving in an area that is colder than here.

{{gwi:179807}}

The garden here is looking the best it ever has at this time of the year. We've got a great crop of European Highbush Cranberries this year that should provide nice winter interest by the gardage

{{gwi:179810}}
The Heptacodium is also putting on a great show this year

(This is just after it started blooming and before we cut down the coneflowers.)

{{gwi:179812}}

The hardy hibiscuses are also doing great this year although the dark red ones are still fairly young and haven't really clumped up yet. The pale pink ones with a deeper pink eye produced some seedlings, that don't have the dark eye, that are very attractive. I haven't got any really good pictures of the hibiscuses though so these ones don't really illustrate how much of a show they make.

{{gwi:179815}}
{{gwi:179818}}
{{gwi:179821}}

Asters are the other big show at the moment but I can also never get any decent pictures of them either...

Walkies time.. gotta go...

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Seedhouse Garden

Comments (13)