SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bundles88

need help with sick phal. orchid

bundles88
15 years ago

i got it.it was bought at a store (similar to walmart) so i figured it would be in poor health, and so it has been. It was my first one, so my care was based off recomendations which didnt seem to work out well.

first, the orchid had scale. BAD. I followed some recommended steps (spot treating with rubbing alcohol, this weird oil spray, re-potting, cutting the spike down to about an inch long off of the plant) and these ended up damaging the plant pretty bad. the leaves are green, as they should be, but are completely drooped over the edges of the pot and are not firm. there marks on the leaves from the alcohol treatment.

today i was giving my plant its weekly evaluation/watering, it seemed to be recovering, the plant has a new leaf starting, and the youngest leaf seems to be growing much better. there seems to be decent roots, but a lot are more of a brown color.... and i noticed a rather large scale bug again! WTF?! it looks fairly young (ie: not hardened, still a visible trail). it is out of bloom.

what do i do?!

can i get rid of the scale?

will the spikes grow back?

will the leaves and roots recover?

is it a lost cause?

Comments (2)