SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljes1686

New plants, need repotting advice please

ljes1686
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to water gardening. I've been reading the boards here trying to learn as much as I can. I started out just wanting to do a patio container water garden, but since I love the water plants and would like 2 or 3 goldfish - I want something bigger now. I'm looking at a 100 gallon preformed pond with a little 8 gal. connecting pool waterfall.

While I was at Lowe's looking at the ponds, I had to look at the pond plants of course. That's where I got in trouble. They had all the pond plants marked down to $3 each. You're all going to think I'm crazy! I have no pond, but came home with 4 pond plants. The plants appear to be in good condition, and for the price I couldn't resist. They actually looked much better than the ones I had seen at another Lowes (those looked terrible and were't even marked down).

I got a Water Lily, an Umbrella Palm, a Dwarf Giant Papyrus and a Corkscrew Rush. I guess I will have to fill up a couple big rubbermaid storage totes to grow these plants in until I can decide on a pond and get it built.

I picked up some supplies for repotting them based on what I could remember that I had read here. I got a black 12qt. dishpan for the water lily and 3 black planting baskets for the other 3 plants. I also got a bag of pea gravel, a bag of plain clay only kitty litter and a jar of Osmocote.

If I understand this right, the water lily can be planted in clay kitty litter with some osmocote in the bottom and pea gravel on top. Is this right? What about the other 3? I can't find much about repotting the Umbrella Palms, Papyrus or Rush. How do I repot them?

Will it be ok to go ahead and repot all of them and set them out in rubbermaid totes of water until I can get a pond?

Comments (7)