SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_871924

Stranger than Fiction (film)

Pidge
17 years ago

Will Ferrell is excellent in this film and a supporting cast of Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson, Queen Latifah, and Maggie Ghyllenhaal doesn't hurt him a bit. It's a "comedy" but a dark one. The premise is that Emma Thompson is writing a novel about an IRS agent named Harold Crick and he begins to hear the narrative in his head and when he hears her say he has to die at the end of novel--well, that's how the plot gets rolling.

I thought the film started slow but once Harold was determined to save his own life, the pace picked up. I always think of Ferrell as a bit clownish--think Talledega Nights, for example--but here he achieves a depth of emotion I don't think I've encountered in him before. He changes his life, which I won't spoil with details, and the lives of those around him. Nice. Emma Thompson is wonderfully dotty, Maggie G looks great despite a tattoo I found continutally distracting but it was essential to her character, Dustin Hoffman cartooned English professors in a way I found ruefully apt, and Queen Latifah is woefully underused. There's a blurring of the line between life and literature that I welcomed as a postmodern riff on the intermingling of life and art in the imagination. I think that's how it is all the time.

This film won't knock your socks off, but there is a lot to chew on, in particular the sense that a conventional life can be fraught with surprises.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions