SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Phal woes - is my phal apoptosing?

xmpraedicta
16 years ago

Do most of you still have your first orchids that started the obsession? I started off with two innocent phals purchased at a flower show, and even though I'm not incredibly excited about phals (I still like them a lot, mehitabel!!) I really do want to keep these original two in good condition. I guess IÂll give the bad news first. I brought my Phal ÂNobbyÂs Amy in doors about a week ago, and it seemed pretty happy, although I noticed some shallow pits in the top leaf. One week later, the top leaf turned completely pinkish green, with deep pits, wrinkled, and dropped off the plant at the slightest touch. IÂve never seen this happen to a top leaf before (IÂve been lucky I guess!) and the other two leaves seem perfectly happy and firm. The plant is even making a spike. I see healthy roots. My guess is that there was some sort of bacterial infection (the pits secreted water when I pressed on themÂdonÂt worry I washed my hands with soap and water before touching anything else) which somehow took off in the warmer conditions of the indoor environment, and the plant decided to quickly get rid of the leaf before the infection spread. Hopefully this is the case, and the plant will remain healthy, although I will monitor it carefully from now on. Any sort of treatment recommended to prevent a further out break? This particular phal has always grown incredibly slowly compared to the others, so IÂm keeping my fingers crossed.

{{gwi:198365}} Here is the phal now, missing it's top leaf. There is some spotting on another of the leaves and I'm hoping it's not the same infection spreading.

{{gwi:198367}}
Here is where the leaf broke off...you can see it is a clean break, similar to the break you observe when phals naturally shed old leaves.

{{gwi:198368}}
{{gwi:198369}}
Here is the leaf that broke off...as you can see, it turned quite pink and pitted.

The good news is that my other original phal (Phal. ÂAnthura BostonÂ) decided to throw out a branched spike this year, which IÂm excited about. I love this simple pink phal - it's always so faithful when it blooms, even though sometimes I put it on the back burner when I get excited about the newer incomers. Despite this, it seems to remind me 'Hey! I'm still here...remember me?' with amazing sprays of flowers. I'm going to take it less for granted from now on!

{{gwi:198370}}
{{gwi:198371}}

All 7 of my other phals are spiking as well, save this annoying little equistris cross which has never bloomed for me.

Comments (10)