SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_il

Community

suzanne_il
18 years ago

"community" - n. - a group or class having common interests.

I'm sure that somewhere there's a social scientist, psychologist or ethnographer reading and studying the newest form of community - online communities, to see what they reveal.

Online communities differ in that they are a true melting pot, with online access allowing entry to all regardless of physical location, financial status, ethnic or cultural backgrounds, and certainly throwing together many people who would otherwise never meet in "real life".

This online community has worked well in the past and before anyone grits their teeth and say, "Not another "good old days" comment", the fact is that there was a time when almost unspoken rules of conduct set boundaries of subject matter and behavior. These boundaries were instituted by Spike (Bob) in a wisdom gained by his experience.

Politics and Religion....Thousands of sites to discuss these subjects. Aren't we bombarded with this subject matter constantly? As Ruthanne used to say, "I come here to escape from that. This is my quiet secret garden zone."

To those who say that without a latitude in subject matter things get boring. Hmmmmm. I don't ever remember being bored - hearing about one members southern adventures, or another's funny daily family life - seeing New York through the eyes of a naturally talented writer - traveling along to family reunions, funerals, peeking into life in North Dakota and enduring hot summers in Texas, and all manner of life. It doesn't seem to me that I would ever need to travel outside of your experiences to stay interested. But I suppose since I live in a very small community, that I'm interested in a narrower view of "current events"...i.e., whose cow has gotten out of the pasture.

This community will only thrive and continue if the members who constitute it agree on some basic behavior.

Here are some questions that might clarify why we are here and what we hope to gain from this experience. It would be interesting if you would answer before you've read others responses and maybe some type of pattern would emerge.

What does it mean to you to be a member of this group?

What makes someone an inside or outsider here?

When does the feeling of community break down?

What do you get out of this experience, when it is at its best?

What do YOU bring to this community?

I've made friends here, and some are actually very profound friendships, and that is reason alone to care about the future. And as a boss used to say, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Everything has its ebb and flow, and people move in and out. It has occurred to me that at some point when things seem to not fulfill the need, it's time to move on...or take a break. I've done it myself, we all need to.

So this evening I am thankful to all the good things the Garden Party has brought into my life...new friends...new knowledge... a widened perspective... and to those whose talent has sparked a new outlet for creativity (photography) I am eternally grateful.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

One more thought - Nice Matters

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions