SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Giving presentations...

gardenbug
17 years ago

Whether garden presentations or other types, we all are exposed to public speaking of one sort or another. Personally I am sick of Power Point presentations. I received this message from my DH this morning after his 8:30am lecture. I think it is food for thought for us all.

I arrived in my classroom 10 minutes early... figured I could review the slides a bit to be quite on top of the presentation.

Presentation is given by means of a computer and projector in the classroom, which in turn is connected to the internet, whereon reside my slides.

I logged into the computer and it informed me that I should wait for "my settings" to be found. Five minutes of waiting convinced me that nothing good was going on.

I phoned the AV emergency phone number (yes there is a phone in the classroom). The respondent gave a good laugh, I think to try to cheer me up. He suggested I should wait longer. After a bit of discussion, I convinced him --- or at least me --- that waiting longer was not helping

So, after some fiddling and advice from him, I turned off the computer and rebooted it.

The computer then told me it was loading MatLab and many other pieces of software with alphabet soup names.

By this time, the classroom was full of students and I was completely without notes or slides to give the lecture.

So what to do?

I took out a piece of chalk. The class fully understood the general situation, as the progress of the computer was being projected onto the classroom screen.

I proceeded to try to remember what was on the slides and to present it as a chalk talk.

With what result?

It went much better that way. Of course, I was much more spontaneous. I had to expand and correct my diagrams as I went along. By half way through, students were asking question and participating. By the end of the class, it was fully interactive with students taking positions and recounting their related experience from summer jobs.

---R

PS: Technical details:

A student volunteered his laptop and during the class jury-rigged his laptop such that we could eventually show the slides using his machine. I showed some slides, but not most of them.

And by the end of the class, the classroom computer was still loading more software.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!