SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

buy an Oncidium now or wait till spring?

greentoe357
10 years ago

I am looking to buy an Orchid other than Phalaenopsis. I do like the look of some Oncidiums. Saw this at Trader Joe's yesterday. There is no ID on the label that I can see. Is this an Oncidium? What kind? I'll attach pseudobulbs picture as well.

What is the best time to buy them for good price but also to ease their transition into an apartment environment and to maximize survival chances for a newbie? I've read Oncidiums bloom in Aug/Sept, which we are kind of within that time very roughly. (I also understand some Oncidium hybrids flower up to 3 times a year). Another store tells me their high season for orchids is before Mother's Day. Is it better to buy then?

The soil looked horrible, water-logged and with green moss or mold growing on top of some pots. Still, no repotting before it's done flowering, right - or it'll drop the flowers/buds? If I buy one now, shall I plop the whole root ball into a slightly bigger pot and fill the gaps with bark until it's done flowering and I can do a proper bare-root repot then?

Comments (15)