SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carraig

Carraig's Pond Build -- Sketchup -- Plumbing ?'s

carraig
14 years ago

Okay, as you can see from the picture below I'm planning on building a pond. Although I haven't drawn in the "ground" yet the top of the main part of the pond will be at ground level, as is the skippy filter.

{{gwi:197608}}

My next step is to add in the plumbing but while doing my research I've become a bit indecisive. The pond is going to end up being 1500-1800 gals so it's not that big and the modified skippy filter at 100gals should be sufficient as a biofilter.

Now, for the plumbing, here's my plan:

- Easy Pro Small Skimmer or Atlantic 4900 on the far opposite of the waterfall.

- Koi Toilet I installed below pond and gravity fed to DIY bulkhead fitting in first chamber (before mechanical filtration) of Skimmer

- Still undecided pump, probably around 2500-3000gph (want sheet of water 12" wide off of waterfall), that will pump water from the Skimmer to the modified Skippy filter.

Pond FAQs:

- Will be where I keep my turtle rescues and so will probably also have numerous smaller goldfish which the turtles eat along with the natural insects and frogs that happen in the water. NOT KEEPING KOI.

- The deep part of the pond in the drawing is 2ft, the shallow shelf is 1ft and runs all the way under the bridge.

MY Questions:

- Will my idea for gravity fed bottom drain into skimmer be efficient?

- Am I correct estimating the amount of gph I'll need for 2ft of vertical head to get that sheet of water off the waterfall?

- What other awesome ideas or counter suggestions do you experienced folk have to make this pond GREAT!

Thanks,

Carraig

Comments (4)