SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

??'s - Retro bottom drain, pond liner, & moving fish to new pond

mamabirrd
14 years ago

Hi folks!

It's been a long time since I've posted. Some of you may remember me from back in the day :)

I currently have a 1500 or so gallon pond and waterfall w/ biofalls filtration. About 50 fish.....10 of which are very large Koi (12"+).

We were planning to move into our new home this Spring and I was pretty relaxed about getting the new pond done and moving the fish. All we have at the new place is the rough hole dug so far. Then suddenly I got word that we have to be out in 2 weeks! We have a buyer for our house before even putting it on the market which is great, but they sold their place and need to get in here asap. So that really screws up my relaxing pond building, LOL.

Anyhoo, I want a little better of a filtration system for the new pond. I am interested in a retro bottom drain because I prefer not to cut a hole in the bottom for fear of leaks. I'd be totally worried about it all the time. Also because the bottom of the pond isn't flat.....there will actually be a large hump in the middle so there will be two deep areas. Anyone here have a particular retro bottom drain that you love? My new pond size isn't complete yet so I don't know the gallons yet, but it will be much larger than my current pond. Approx. 3-4 feet deep and roughly 15' or 20' x 25' or so.

There will be a long stream/waterfall and I planned to re-use my biofalls filter along with possibly setting up a bog like area in the stream. Does this sound like it would be sufficient filtration?

I'd like the plumbing to be at a minimum.....so if I use a retro bottom drain I'd run that up to the biofalls filter, right? That filter is an up flow?.....basically the water goes in at the bottom and spills out onto the falls at the top of the container.

Hmmmmmm.....so where will I put a pump?

It's been so long since I've built ponds and I'm just scrambled due to the fact that I have to move out so quick.

Sure hoping you friendly folks can help me :)

Also, I was planning to drain my pond down very low and catch and put my fish in big bags for the 5 mile trip to my new house. Does this sound like a good plan? Don't have bags yet so if you have a suggestion, I'm all ears.

I still didn't order pond liner for the new one yet either. Ugh! Haven't even had time to research it yet. I know I will go with at least 45 mil Firestone liner. Any tips on who would be best to buy from?

Sorry for so many questions. Hope you aren't as confused as I am. :)

Happy Spring!

Dawn (mamabirrd)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!