SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silkysacto

Parasites disaster tried P.P. and up to 5% salt

silkysacto
16 years ago

Several Koi were flashing and lethargic. So I pulled out a almost dead koi & took it in for microscope analysis. Detected these 3 parasites. Skin fluke  Gyrodactyus,

Trichodina, Chilodonella, easy to spot under the microscope.

The pond is 6000 gallons - I could not catch the fish so I had to treat the whole system. And I was told that the bead filter would be hosting also. I treated the pond with Potassium Permanganate  and the purple pond cleared the next day. Over 2 weeks I changed out all the water, reseeded the pump with Microblift SA and salted it to 5%. The water stayed at 5% for a week and then I reduced it over another week. I thought that would surely take care of the parasites. (Now I know what "sharp" water looks like. 5% salt will clean everything.)

Ultimately I lost 70 koi over 10 days, but not a single goldfish or Comet or Shumbikin. The PP treatment was not diluted enough going in and I think that is what killed so many  not the parasites.

Now, my population is devastated down to 25 and IÂm seeing the same symptoms coming back again  only a month later on the new koi that I dipped in salt bath before going into pond. These new fish are now going through the same symptoms and the old survivor koi are flashing again. Different symptoms on multiple fish. A small koi swims in speedy spirals, new large koi was flashing yesterday and today is not eating & sitting on bottom with clamped fins & hanging under the waterfalls.

Pond water (from well) parameters are perfect, huge waterfall so oxygen isnÂt low and backwashing bead filter with skimmer & bottom drain assures water turnover. I test full kit: Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia, Phosphorus, Salt Level. pH (always 8+) all test at 0ppm. water temp fluctuates between from 65-78 during 24 hours and now water is back to 1% salt.

Any suggestions 3% - 5% Salt didnÂt do the job. P.P. didnÂt do it. what should I try?

Comments (6)