SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

Tank ventilation, or drilling holes in glass?

whitecat8
14 years ago

Thinking of ways to increase air circulation in the 36"x18"x16.5" glass terrarium. The fan that was blowing air over the open top died, plus everything needs spraying about 3 times a day. Not gonna happen.

The last time I looked at camping tents, new models had ventilation holes @ the bottom (screened to keep bugs out), w/ screened openings in the top. Lovely air flow.

The Exo Terra has the slits near the bottom of the front-opening doors and the screened top - air flow.

The Exo Terra is too pricey, so I'm looking for "natural" ventilation for the tank. There are two brooder lights above it w/ 23W CFLs in them. The screened top has been off, but it can go on, if it'd help, but I'm concerned about reduction in the amount of light. Stronger CFLs are an option.

Is it possible/desirable to drill holes in glass? I'm guessing this isn't tempered. Could a specialty place do it? Holes might be about 3" from the bottom of the tank, below any of the plants.

If holes in the glass aren't feasible, how would it be to

- put a glass panel on the top that has open space at both ends for air flow. Kevin, your fungus problem is in the back of my mind all the time.

- use a couple of small clip-on fans or computer fans inside the tank to move air, hopefully exchanging air via the open spaces at the top, if the fans are positioned correctly

- increase humidity via ultrasonic humidifier w/ tubing

Or maybe do these in conjunction w/ holes in the glass.

Your wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Whitecat8

Here is a link that might be useful: Exo Terra tank w/ ventilation

Comments (25)