SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

The importance of the bulb 'pushing' the new growth.

orchidnick
14 years ago

A friend of mine started an experiment of adding 'Magic Potion' (Super Thrive is one of three) to the fertilizing routine for Cattleyas. One control plant for him and 3 different 'Magic Potion' plants plus one plant for me to compare my growing routine with his required us to identify 5 identical plants amongst a bunch of seedling clones I have that are 1 to 2 years from blooming. He grows in bark and usually waters once a week, I grow in a small amount of 3/4" granite and water almost daily. We hope to see which of the 2 growing routines is superior and if the 'Magic Potion' plants under his roof do better than his control.

It was in juggling 12 identical seedlings and choosing 5 of equal strength that I thought some people do not realize the importance of the last completed pbulb. Lets say you are at a show, you are looking at a beautiful Cattleya in full bloom (the sample plant) and then get to choose amongst 20 smaller plants. You obviously want to pick the strongest and healthiest of them. You look at leaves and roots and count the number of bulbs each has but I wonder how many people compare the size and girth of the last completed pbulb.

The new growth is being pushed by the whole plant in general but by the last completed growth in particular. All other things being equal choose the plant with the plumpest, strongest, healthiest looking last completed bhulb. If a plant has a 3" new growth next to a lean, possibly even slightly wrinkled pbulb and another plant that has a 1" new growth next to a plump, strapping pbulb take the later even though the new growth is smaller.

When faced with the 20 seedlings identify the one with the strongest last complete pbulb, it's your best bet. The lenght and size of the new developing growth at this point in time is less important.

Nick

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations