SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Bluegill w/ fin rot - advice needed

ademink
17 years ago

This topic was buried in another thread but I would love some advice soon so I'm reposting.

Large (saucer sized) bluegill was in my pond...we cleaned it..I saw that he has fin rot. He was still eating like a champ and is fat and sassy.

I setup a 20L quarantine tank...only half full b/c that was all I could carry...I have since added 2 more gallons to make it 12 (am adjusting medicine quantities w/ gallonage increase) and will keep adding water as I bring it in from the pond and make it room temp.

He has been in there since Monday evening. I do not have a filter...only a bubbler.

I am testing the water daily and so far, nitrates/nitrites are very low and besides the water being a little hard (always is), it looks good.

The water is at room temp...around 67-68 degrees in our 100+ y/o house. LOL

I put in aquarium salt for freshwater fish.

I am on my 4th day of treating with Marycyn. The initial prescribed treatment is 5 days.

He will not eat in the tank.

After I treat him for 5 days...do I just put him back in the pond or...???? It says if you don't see improvement to do another 5 days...but I don't even know what "improvement" looks like since it takes months for fins to grow back.

What should I be doing differently? Anything?

What do I do now?

Rainbow_trout...? catfishsam? Any of you other "native fish" folk? lol

Thanks!

Andrea

Comments (5)