SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Well, thats it for the season.

gandle
15 years ago

We close the museum on the 31st, day after tomorrow. Won't open again until April 1 next spring. We don't heat the building so it would get a bit uncomfortable in there.

Our bookkeeper tells me that so far we have had over 25,000 visitors this season and there have been 31 countries represented. I think the most memorable I had was two couples from Cameroon. I was a bit embarrassed in having to quiz them on everything about their country. I really didn't know where in Africa it was. I got quite a lesson concerning Cameroon. Oddly, they had heard of the pony express and were eager to learn more.

Also, had a man from Malta, there again I knew very little about it except it was in the Mediterranean . Of course there was the 2 men from Estonia, the young woman from Iceland etc., etc. Most all of these visitors are happy to share information about their homelands with you and I think I absorb more knowledge from them than I impart.

I will truly miss the meeting with all of thse travelers and will be awaiting the opening next spring. The hours can be long, the pay is lousy, we are volunteers, but Leone and I agree there isn't a lot that we would rather do.

We will help remove practically everything from the log cabin and store it in a climate controlled place for winter. Some of the leather goods tend to mildew if left in the building wwith the ups and downs of temperatures and changes of humidity and even though there is a security system that is activated over winter there are just too many valuable antiques to leave there. O.K., April first, I'll be ready.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions