SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Fall is fast approaching, and I have some issues..

xmpraedicta
16 years ago

The temperatures are starting to drop, and we hit a low of 52F (11C) today. We'll be reaching below 50F (10C) on Sunday, so I'm seriously thinking it might be time to move some of the orchids indoors.

I have major earwig infestations in all my plants. They don't seem to really do any damage, except that they hide in the leaf axis...it's actually really disgusting, cause when it rains, a lot of them end up drowning in the water trays, so I get these gross bloated earwig carcases floating around all the time. I'm sure I've seen little red spider mites crawling around too, and I have a very nice family of sow bugs/pill bugs living under my pots / possibly in the medium. All in all, however, I've had essentially minimal damage, which is odd since in the winter I battle terrible things like scale, thrips and mealy bugs, but I'm sure it's the frequent out door air movement and a boost in overall plant health that is warding these things away.

Anyway, my question is, are there any recommendations as to what I can use/do to get rid of all these arthropods before bringing em inside? Even though pill bugs are harmless, I don't want them crawling everywhere in my house. And I certainly don't want an earwig infestation in my african violets. I'm sure there are a gazillion more little buggies that I don't even see with my naked eye crawling around in the media right now. Should I repot and sterilize EVERYTHING? (I feel like this might be a bad move right before the upcoming winter).

Secondly, I've decided I'm going to make a new and better watering system. It'll be my project. I have this huge rubbermaid tub which I place all my orchids into, fill with like 8 litres of water, let soak for 15 minutes (I know - I do collective baths which is BAD but I really can't bother soaking each plant individually), remove all the plants, then nearly DIE carrying the tub to the sink where I empty it. This I do every week/2 weeks in the winter and it's very unpleasant. I'm thinking - could I drill a hole at the base of the tub and install a sort of hose outlet at the bottom of the tub, with an open/close tab? That way, I could simply stand the pots in the tub on some fluorescent light diffusers permanently, and when I want to water, I'll just add water, soak, then drain by putting a bucket underneath and opening the tab to let the water run through the hose. Am I making sense? Has anyone else done something similar? I feel like I've seen this idea in some fancy humidity trays before on some website, so I figure I'd improvise.

Other issues (which probably don't have good specific solutions, but are amusing to tell about): I have problems mounting my lights attractively (my grow area is unfortunately also the living area). I grow most of my plants on this little window ledge thing - you know, one of those kind of window box/sitting ledge things that are shaped like a half-hexagon, jutting out of the house. I have this huge 65watt CFL which I haphazardly clamped onto two bamboo rods that were in turn jammed between the window and a heavy pot - definitely not attractive or sturdy at all. Plus, everyone walking into the living room would instantly be blinded by this glaring white light. I attempted to fashion a light shield sort of thing by covering a frame of chicken wire with tin-foil, but apparently bamboo rods don't stick to chicken wire very well, because the stupid thing kept falling down - right onto my plants, and I quickly learned that chicken wire is very sharp, and orchid leaves are very soft :(

Anyway if I come up with any innovative ideas, I'll be sure to share. And if anyone ELSE has innovative ideas, please, do tell :)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!