SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jalal_gw

Failed Experiment waiting for pump

jalal
17 years ago

Some of you may remember I tried overwintering three fish in my pond this year. Pond was covered with Krona insulation and had a bubbler going but I did not use a deicer. I think the bubbler kept pond ice free to the bottom as the deep end, 4ft where the bubbler was unthawed three weeks ago but I know that during the coldest month when it was -30C here that the pond froze over. When I took the cover off the pond it was ice free for a 4ft diameter circle and no dead fish but as the shallow end unthawed saw the fish frozen in the ice. So maybe because there was no vent hole the pond super cooled or something?

Sent my Sequence pump to Canadian pond company which are replacing it. It leaks around the shaft everytime it was shut down for cleaning. So unlike many of you I am waiting not only for my pump but for the weather to warm up. We had snow again every day last week! The pond is fully ice free and the water lilies I left in the pond are sending up new leafs. The fish I've overwintered in the garage look good--their tank temp is only 45F so am not feeding them yet.

Good luck to everyone with their pond this spring!

Comment (1)