SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

the psychology of carp

Debbie Downer
11 years ago

I recently added 2 new sarassas and 1 new shubunkin to my pond. My 4 old fish (and they are old, about 12 yrs) have reacted in diffeent ways. My old Shubunkin, Spot, loves the newcomers. He swims along with them as do the 2 white comets (female).

Big Red however wont have anything to do with them. At first he was hiding behind the waterfall but coming out for meals... now he's moving around the pond more freely but still keeps his distance from the others.

At first I was afraid he was sick and got the quarantine tank set up... I asked someone about it at the fish store and half jokingly said "I wonder if he's upset because he's not the biggest fish anymore." I was surprised when she replied that this could in fact be true.

I havent entirely ruled out that he might be sick - but he's not showing other symptoms and seems to be eating OK (although with water temps of 45-55 not much appetite.)

What do ya'll think - are carp territorial? Do they have pecking orders? Do fish actually form relationships with each other and if so what kind?

I just want all my fish to be happy! Spot definitely is, he used to get picked on by Big Red and now its like he can just be one of the gang and also he's got another Shubunkin to pal around with now.

Comments (5)