SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

My Roseless Rose Garden

sherryocala
13 years ago

Yesterday I de-budded and de-bloomed all the bushes in the front garden. Believe me, it's a vast improvement over the thripps-eaten of the last week. This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's tidy so here it is.

{{gwi:208981}}

Coreopsis is the yellow plant. Red Cascade is blooming on the mailbox and the left side. Hollyhocks are the tall red blobs on the left.

{{gwi:208982}}

The purple is larkspur and Salvia farinacea. I like to use dianthus for color throughout the year: white, burgundy, fuschia, pinwheel bi-color. It's a good low filler here.

{{gwi:208983}}

{{gwi:208984}}

{{gwi:208985}}

My 2nd-year clematis is blooming, and the daylilies are getting ready.

{{gwi:208986}}

Some of you may recognize the two poppies (pink and orange) in the middle of the shot. They were a total surprise as to size and texture. Wild lookin' plant! Baby rose Lillian Austin must not taste good to the thrips. She's in the lower right.

{{gwi:208987}}

Madame Lombard, propped up with a bamboo stake, is in the center.

{{gwi:208988}}

Bow Bells pretty much fills the foreground. No thripps on her, but just one flower right now.

{{gwi:208989}}

Shot from the opposite side. This is a shade bed now that the sun has shifted with some morning and late afternoon sun. I like it because it always looks so lush. It has sun-loving Gaura and four roses in it: Bow Bells, Etoile de Mai, tiny Pink Above All, and Full Moon Rising on a trellis out of the shot to the right. It didn't have roses in it last year. Time will tell.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Comments (14)