SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazmynsmom

RIP Jazmyn: January 1999 - October 2010

jazmynsmom
13 years ago

I knew the time was coming, but it still surprised me this morning that it was here. Steve and I had our Jazmyn put down. I could go into the particulars of the whys and wherefores, but suffice it to say it was medically appropriate, compassionate, and I'd sooner deal with a lifetime of wondering if we'd done it too soon than a moment of certainty we'd waited too long.

I'm glad Jaz had the opportunity to meet Tallulah, as she seemed to perk up around her. She couldn't wrestle with her without her legs giving out on her, but she sought the puppy out, and the most pleasurable moments she's had in the past months have seemed to revolve around the pup. Tallulah showed Jaz true gentleness and deference... which is something she hasn't shown much of in other contexts.

Izzy will probably lose weight now. Jazmyn reinforced her benevolent form of pack leadership with Izzy every night at dinner time. Izzy would wolf down her meal and politely sit about ten feet away, while Jaz brought mouthfuls of food to Izzy, who'd lick her muzzle in thanks and then scarf it up, sit politely, and hope for more. These two had a special bond that was fun to watch.

I miss the healthy, vigorous greyhound I used to know. Jaz was always a bit of an enigma to me: she was painfully shy, obstinate, and not much of a cuddler. But she opened up considerably in our care.

I never had to worry about her jumping up on or biting anyone. She was ridiculously patient with children... even when she had good reason not to have been. Whenever anyone touched her fur, they always commented on its softness. People with strong dog phobias and aversions were easily and immediately won over by her gentle nature. While Izzy usually outwears her welcome in the first five minutes by showing too much exuberance, I always knew that every social gathering would include finding at least one guest in a corner with Jazmyn, showering her with treats and praise. More often than not, these were self identified "cat people." Jazmyn always especially succeeded where Izzy didn't with people on the Autism spectrum.

When she was healthy, she was the fastest dog at the dog park, and she was clownish and playful with dogs and people alike. Her decline in health has been particularly horrible, as it included complete exercise intolerance and her rear legs becoming increasingly contorted and useless.

I feel at peace about the whole thing, but it's going to take me a little while to process it. Thanks for listening.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions