SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hummingbird597

Ludisia discolor - a couple questions

Hummingbird597
9 years ago

I am making my first foray into growing orchids other than phals. After doing a bunch of research I settled on Ludisia discolor as their light, watering requirements etc. work with my environment (plus they're beautiful!) They will be indoors year round. I got 2 from Oak Hill Gardens - 1 of the species in a 5 inch pot and 1 of the cultivar 'The Black Jewel Orchid' in a 3 inch pot. They are both potted in just sphagnum moss. They seem to be thriving so far, but I have couple things I wanted to double check to make sure they stay that way:

1) Light - in my initial reading everything said relatively low light, no direct sun. However since I got the plants I came across a couple references (online) recommending the same amount of light as phals which seems awfully high. Right now they are against a wall next to a south facing (but somewhat shaded until leaves ) window, and about 8 feet away from a west-facing window. Any thoughts on whether this is adequate?

2) fertilizer - can I use the same fertilizer I use for my phals? I had been using Miracle Gro orchid fertilizer but I am switching to an MSU-formula one from repotme.com. I also have regular houseplant fertilizer.

3) care of sphagnum - both plants were repotted roughly around May according to the nursery. Should I expect to repot yearly, or does sphagnum deteriorate faster than that?

Thanks in advance! I will try and post a picture of them tomorrow.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living