SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Collecting with targeted intensity.

12 years ago

Over the years I seem to have had favorite species that I collected. Dendrobium speciosum was one of them. I have about 30 different ones. Problem with them is they get so big therefore no more. One could collect Bulbos but there are over 1,000 different ones (including all the split-off species). Same with Dendrobiums.

Since I got the cold greenhouse a little more than a year ago, I acquired a collection of Pleurothallis, Masdies, Stelis etc, all cloud forest plants. Again there is a multitude of Pleuros and Masdies.

DRACULAS are different. There are only about 100 or so species known, Jay Phal lists 118. I know a guy in San Francisco who has about 100. He says these are the only ones one can reasonable expect to get. Some have been described and never seen again. So he has all the ones that an ordinary human being could possibly collect and gets very exited if he can add another one to his list.

I have 55 of them at last count, many in bloom as we speak. To me this is the true form of steroid enhanced collecting. To knock out a genus and have a photo album of every possible species in that genus, to me repersents the height of collecting. Draculas are easy to propagate as, given the right conditions, one only needs about 4 leaves to make a growing plant which will bloom within a year. As soon as a plant is halfway decent size I make a small division so that I have 2 of many of them, one ready for trading. The problem is I know of very few people who share my enthusiasm for these and the one guy who does, has every one of them. I can't trade with him as everything I have, he has already. I need to find something else to entice him with.

Does anyone else have a niche collection which by ordinary standards is definitely 'over the top'? Does anyone want to trade Draculas or know someone who does? I suspect that there are Angrecoid nuts who are over the top like I am with Draculas.

Nick

Comments (23)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES