SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kklady

Horton, or anyone else in cold country-question on waterlilies

kklady
17 years ago

Ok....pond needs cleaning, been a bad winter, not so much with cold and snow, but lots of freezes and thaws, and lots of wind blowing when there were thaws, so lots of debris in the pond (by the time I had time to go out and clean out the stuff - the pond was frozen again).

The air temps this weekend are finally supposed to be in the upper 60's (it was warmer here at Christmas than it was on Easter, lol), and I am going to drain down to the 2 ft ledge around the pond (my pond is 15' x 15', with a 2 ft ledge around the outside, then going down to 3-1/2 - 4 ft deep in the center - goldfish only).

Sitting on the 2 ft ledge are my waterlilies - some of them with lots and lots of algae on them.

My question is - can I, even with the colder water, separate my water lilies without hurting them. They really need to be separated, and as long as I am draining the pond down that low, and cleaning off the lilies, thought it would be a good time to do this, get it done all at once.

If it is ok.....should I fertilize them, or just replant and wait until the water gets a little warmer.

thanks for any help.

Karyl

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths