SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sissyz_gw

Anyone else a transplant??

sissyz
18 years ago

I was just thinking about growing up in Chicago, and some of the things my gramps and I grew.

For me...

Lilacs

Lobelia

Colorada Blue Spruce

Grapes

those things succumb to the humidity in my garden!!

What things do you wish you could grow, but can't?

Comments (34)

• maternut
    18 years ago

I miss all the fuchsia, so many colors, also the hedge in
    my front yard was jade plant about waist high. Did not know about black spot on the roses. I got to see my century plant
    bloom before I moved. This was in the Bay Area of Calif. Now
    the Quad City's in Ill. all that stands out in my mind there
    was snow. Lots of nice people. Not really a transplant, left
    here a teenager and returned a old, broken down man.
    Norm

• sissyz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Norm,
    Good thing you can back.
    We were just saying, "there are hardly any more old, broken down men around here..."!!!
    ;)

• Related Discussions

Transplant Shock or Wilt or Something Else?

Q

Comments (1)
    Okay just in case someone else is wondering the same thing, I'll follow up with my own post. Even though my hibiscus is still not looking spectacular, it is looking much better than last week, and I believe it was just transplant shock. I realize now too that I think it might have been too windy for a couple days and I think the plant may not have been able to establish itself in the pot due to the movement of the plant by the wind. After taking wire and securing it and then continuing to water it (mixed with a couple rainy days), it seems to have come back to life! So if your hibiscus is transplanted and a week later it still looks like it's struggling, it may still just be in shock!
    ...See More

Anyone else have trouble starting 'specialty' seeds?

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello Bruce I don't believe the size of the seed matters. It is the right conditions. Warmth, and humidity. I put my seeds in small plastic containers, and put them on top of the hot water heater. I picture lawyers drooooling over this,and it's a crying shame. Just keep them away from the pipes. They don't need light to germinate.(This applies to lawyers also): On another note I had some new seeds I bought last year (just one type). I only got 2 or three sprouts out of several seeds of this packet last year. I figured they were not very fertile, so I threw the rest of the packet in this year. Well I now have 29 Marrina's Peace sprouts. I guess the humidity is the only difference. I used the same water heater, same growing mixture. I guess I did use different tap water a year ago :
    ...See More

Has anyone else noticed this?

Q

Comments (6)
    Maybe it's just a coincidence. I'd say 16 of the 22 plants are like that. Just thought it was cool and that maybe I could use it to my advantage in the future. In fact, thethe trusses that aren't in line were the worst leggy ones. Those stems have twisted the most. All the bottom leaves/branches had yellowed after transplanting so I removed them.
    ...See More

Does anyone else get overwhelmed when going to nurseries?

Q

Comments (1)
    I re-imagine my garden all the time. I've been here for more than 20 years, so I have to watch myself because of lack of space for planting new things. The moving about of plants is part of the fun... or the chore of having a garden. This winter we had an unusually long snow season and several of my plants were damaged. I have senna plants that flush out into beautiful yellow blooms in August and they really suffered. Some of them were just too damaged to keep. I'd been eyeing the bed they live in for a while and the winter damage gave me the push I needed to re-do. I'm sure that senna plants can be weaved together to form a green wall. I've decided to try and grow a blooming bower. They aren't quite big enough yet, just little stick looking things really. Still, a half-day of work and it looks 100% better. Back to your frustration... I think you may be reading it wrong. It seems more like you're creatively visualizing your garden. You're probably better off leaving without anything if you have a sense that before you buy you need to move things about.
    ...See More
  • Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

Me! I qualify. I can hardly stand upright this morning after two days in the yard.

• Diane_TN
    18 years ago

Have been thinking about the lilacs and peonies blooming back in LeSueur and Gaylord area of Minnesota (south central). Enjoyed cooking the morel mushrooms at this season.
    Diane

• amazondoc
    18 years ago

Lots of people grow grapes around here -- keep trying! :-)

I'm an early transplant -- born in CT, moved to Miami before 1 year old, then moved to Nashville at 6. I do remember the palm trees -- we had one in particular that was a huge bushy thing that we used to hide inside of. And we used to hide Easter eggs in the tops of young palm trees in our front yard. We also had a banana tree, an orange tree (lousy oranges) and a loquat tree.

I was also a temporary transplant to Utah for five years in the middle. I really miss all the fruit trees from there!

• sissyz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, Doc, but lots of folks might grow grapes where you are, but I am at least 1 Zone warmer and experience intense humidity.
    Knoxville Average Temps
    May 55.6°F 76.3°F
    Jun 63.9°F 83.6°F
    Jul 68.5°F 86.9°F
    Aug 67.3°F 86.4°F
    Sept 60.8°F 80.7°F
    Oct 47.7°F 69.9°F
    Nov 38.9°F 59.0°F

Memphis average Temps
    May 60.8°F 80.4°F
    Jun 68.8°F 88.5°F
    Jul 72.9°F 92.1°F
    Aug 71.2°F 91.2°F
    Sept 64.3°F 85.3°F
    Oct 52.5°F 75.1°F
    Nov 42.6°F 62.1°F

Chattanooga Avg Temps
    May 56.2°F 79.1°F
    Jun 64.6°F 86.2°F
    Jul 69.4°F 89.8°F
    Aug 68.3°F 88.7°F
    Sept 61.7°F 82.5°F
    Oct 48.5°F 72.3°F
    Nov 39.5°F 61.1°F

Here is a link that might be useful: Works Cited!!

• anntn6b
    18 years ago

Mucadine grapes would be worth your efforts.

• Baxter_bud
    18 years ago

I am a transplant from Southern CA, we have been in TN for almost 4 years. Anything that I can't grow here, is well worth giving up for the total pleasure of living here!!! I gardened year around in CA, but also battled traffic, paid outragious prices, lived in fear from rampant crime, and felt like a weirdo because we lived a Christian life style! We are so blessed to be here.

• DurtGrrl
    18 years ago

Yeah, I spent the first quarter-century of my life in NM. Talk about culture shock when I moved here! I still fear I am mildewing!
    I miss being able to grow really hot chile peppers, and miss the roses. Roses are so hard to grow here. I miss the cottonwoods along the river and the pinon-juniper forest, and the prickly-pear cactus--you can make the best jelly in the world from those fruits! I really liked growing native grasses (grama grass, prarie dropseed etc) out there. And penstemons, too wet here for those guys.

But I've discovered the joys that are tomatoes and big bluestem! :)

• amazondoc
    18 years ago

DurtGrrl -- don't give up on prickly pears or penstemons. We have prickly pears in plantings all over town (both Knoxville and Nashville), and we even have some NATIVE penstemons. True, you can't grow all the types you could in the west -- but check out Penstemon smallii, Penstemon hirsutus, and some of the hybrids like Husker Red.

SissyZ -- There's at least three commercial vineyards in western TN, at least two of them right around Memphis (one in Millington, one in Cordova, one in Ripley). Here's some miscellaneous links about these vineyards in West TN -- I'm sure if you contact them they'd be able to give you advice about what might grow better in your conditions:

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories/2000/10/30/smallb1.html
    http://www.allamericanwineries.com/tn/oldmillington/
    http://www.lauderdalecellars.com/
    http://www.allamericanwineries.com/AAWMain/ResultsTN.htm

• Soeur
    18 years ago

Amazondoc's right, DurtGrrl, you can stab yourself anytime you like on Opuntia humifusa, which is native to these parts. And additional penstemons to try are P. digitalis ('Husker Red' is a selection of that species, but the wild form around here often has that red foliage and bigger, showier flowers, IMO), the very beautiful P. calycosus and P. tenuiflorus -- all gardenworthy, although not as spectacular as some of the western beardtongues. And you'll be happy to know that prairie dropseed does great here; in fact, last year a botanist found it occurring naturally in middle TN.

Diane, you can have lilacs and peonies here, you just need to plant the varieties that will prosper in our climate and don't require more chill hours than we offer. For lilacs, look for 'Lavender Lady', 'Blue Skies' and 'James McFarland', which is a pink. Korean Lilacs also do quite well in my 6b area. For peonies, go with early blooming varieties like 'Kansas' (red) and 'Festiva Maxima' (white). 'Edulis Superba' and 'Sarah Bernhardt', both pink, do OK, too, as well as 'Bowl of Beauty', a Japanese type. And tree peonies are spectacular here. Morels do occur, and are an early April phenomenon here.

SissyZ, the Univ of Arkansas has developed a series of grapes perfect for anywhere in TN. 'Mars', 'Venus', and 'Reliance' are the most easily obtainable. I grow 'em, and they do fine for me. 'Mars' tastes like Concord.

Norm, I miss the fuchsias, too (born in Berkeley, CA).

Marty

• sissyz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Unlike the UofA Blackberry series, the grapes don't do well for me. I have to spray to the point where you wouldn't eat the things...
    The few lilacs I have seen in Memphis are spindly and have little foliage. One is in the botanic garden, under the pines, growing in full shade, so there's little flowering.
    Have seen a few Spruces, as well, but none of these plants thrive here...
    I do not miss:
    Salty cars
    Dirty piles of snow all over
    Fighting with 2 million people trying to get to the same place you are!! (I don't mind the 40/240 fly-over, I do it twice a day!!)
    Months of cold rain
    Air so cold it hurts to breathe!
    We have gladly traded those for heat so intense the blacktop gets soft!!

• maternut
    18 years ago

DurtGrrl prickly-pear cactus grows just fine in West Tn.
    Had some jelly made from some last year,was very good.
    Also have cotton wood trees here.
    Norm

• amazondoc
    18 years ago

Oh duh, Marty, you're absolutely right -- sorry for misidentifying Husker Red as a hybrid!

Also, I'm gonna have to look up P. calycosus and P. tenuiflorus -- I've never tried either one, but I love penstemons!

• SpringHillLady
    18 years ago

I am a multiple transplant.

Born in Connecticut, lived in SanFrancisco/San Jose, CA for 15 years, moved back to Milford, CT for 12 years and in September we will be here 2 years. I LOVE it here.

I miss the huge lilac bushes (I have some common lilac that I bought in McMinnville that did bloom a little this spring).

I miss the bleeding hearts (planted a couple - hope they bloom).

I miss the intense fall foliage of CT and Vermont - nothing compares anywhere else.

I don't miss the traffic, salt on the car, dirty snow, rude people/drivers on the highway, high taxes, ridiculous house prices, and cold, cold, COLD.

Have a question - this thread reminds me of a shrub that I used to play under as a child. I do not remember color or type of leaves - green like most bushes; but I distinctly remember that at some point during summer it produced some type of pod that when crushed/smashed/stomped on (as children love to do) it sent out a "puff of smoke." Does anyone have any idea what that shrub could have been. There was enough room to crawl around under it as a child.

Sharon

• Soeur
    18 years ago

Amazondoc, if you like I can send you seed of both penstemons in late summer. They're really easy, just 60 days stratification and they bust out of the ground.

Marty

• DurtGrrl
    18 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the advice on the Opuntia, Penstemons, and prairie dropseed. I was not sure if the pricklypears I've seen around are locally native or not--great to know! I'll check out your recommendations. :)

• dennisjmccoy
    18 years ago

I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota and moved to Indiana for the 1st 3 years of my life. Then to Iowa for 37 years, now in God's Country for 9 years. Let's see....that makes me...39!
    The last winter we spent in Iowa, it started snowing in October and was still snowing in March. I plowed and shoveled enough snow that winter to last a lifetime.
    About the only thing I miss about Iowa is the smell of a corn field in bloom. (You didn't know you could smell a corn field in bloom, didya?) You can only smell a corn field in bloom when the wind is blowing the smell of "honey" the other way!

• amazondoc
    18 years ago

Thanks Marty, I'd love it! Will send you my info. :-)

• cmh35
    18 years ago

transplanted from virginia via pennsylvania, God I miss the ocean.. I miss my beautiful lilacs from pennsylvania
    still learning what to grow and not to grow in middle tenn

• rizzir
    18 years ago

I'm a transplant from upstate New York (Endicott). I've been in TN eight years. I miss... not much, really. Everything I enjoyed growing there grows here, too, and much more grows here than I ever imagined existed when I lived there! I guess lilacs don't do so well here, but they make me sneeze anyway.

-Regina

• reneecd
    18 years ago

Here in Nashville, the transplants are far more common than native Nashvillians. Born in eastern Kentucky, I was raised in Michigan with summers and holidays spent back in Kentucky. I headed back to KY for college and then moved to Nashville in '94. Given the choice, I can't imagine why anyone would choose to live up north and endure six months of dirty snow and stabbing cold wind.

• DirtDiggingLady
    18 years ago

Well, my memories are a little different from the transplanted northerners here.

I spent my high school years in central Florida when there were still plenty of orange and grapefruit groves. In fact, we lived in a grapefruit grove at one time and that is where I learned to drive. I would go 90 mph down the sandy lanes between the trees and now wonder how I lived through it. And there is nothing like the experience of riding a motorcycle down a central Florida two-lane road and smelling the orange blossoms in the thick hot night air.

I remember we also had eucalyptus trees and mango trees growing in neighborhood yards everywhere in one small town I lived in. It was so beautiful and tropical. Children went from door to door selling mangoes from the tree in their back yard for 25 cents each. We had a lime tree with huge limes in the back corner of our yard. We also had what I think is called a Spanish sword which has sharply pointed leaves, palms and palmettos. I don't miss the sword things that much.

There were lots of bouganvillas which, if my memory is correct, remind me of a sort of a tropical version of crepe myrtle. These were on the medians of the entrances to the small town where I lived.

I really miss the Spanish moss hanging from the trees. It just seems to give me that lazy, hazy summer day feeling all year long.

Katie

• MollyS
    18 years ago

I was born in St.Paul, MN, and lived in that general vicinity (suburbs)until 4 years ago, when my husband's job transfer moved us to TX (McKinney, just north of Dallas).
    After 2 years we moved to Franklin.

I was very excited to move anywhere south, as I was an avid rose gardener (Old Garden roses, shrubs, antiques). Up in MN, at that time, "own-root" and hardy roses were hard to find, and so I couldn't wait to be where I could grow any rose I wanted.

I'm (slowly) learning that the humidity here makes it very hard to grow roses, because of fungal diseases. I grew about 40 different roses in MN, and never had blackspot (or Japanese beetles, for that matter) until moving here. I don't like using chemicals, so I'm (trying) to plant the few roses that are "disease resistant" here (instead of those I had hoped to grow). I am having some trouble letting go, though!

I miss...lilacs (although I've seen a couple of really happy lilac shrubs here, very large ones on very old farm properties). I am going to look up the varieties that Soeur mentioned.

I also thought hydrangeas (macrophyllas) would be happy here, too. Not so. They all seem to droop when it gets hot, even in the shade!

But you can't grow Crepe Myrtle or (most) Magnolias up there, which I LOVE!

• beebees
    18 years ago

I was born in upstate NY (Binghamton)and have been in TN for about 8 years. Previously in: Miss, Arkansas, NJersey, and Wisconsin. The life of a paper mill family. We are retiring here eventually. By the way, I have 5 Miss Kim Lilacs (3 years old). This spring I told my husband that their new home would be the composter if we didn't get blooms this spring. Well, guess they heard me - absolutely covered with gorgeous smelling blooms.

Rizzir - looked for you at the swap this morning - did I miss you? Just wanted to meet a fellow NY'er.

• amazondoc
    18 years ago

Hey Molly -- have you found the Gardenweb rose forums yet? There is an especially wonderful antique rose forum, and several great TN rose growers. Look especially for posts by Jean (I think her Gardenweb name in JeanTN -- she's in Nashville) and Ann (I think hers is anntn6b -- she's in Knoxville). You CAN grow lots of old roses here, even if it IS a bit of a challenge. :-)

• rader_ranch
    18 years ago

born near Cleveland, grew up south of Buffalo, been living in So.Cal for almost 17 years, and WILL be living in Friendsville as of next month, hope to be there at least as long as LA ;)

• smferguson
    18 years ago

Born in Buffalo, NY but lived two years in San Francisco, 10 years in Northeast PA and now 4 years in Franklin, TN. I have to say that Tennessee is my favorite. Great weather and outstanding people.

• Sundug
    18 years ago

My wife Claudia and I are both transplants from NY, I was born in Port Chester, which is right where NY, Conn, and the Long Island Sound meet. She was born in Buffalo. We met in Kingston, on the Hudson River, the last winter we spent there we had a total snowfall of 96" for the winter. We have been in Middle TN for 22 years now.We love it here,cheap land, low taxes, and mild winters attracted us here. Claudia has become known as the "Plant Lady" she had no experience gardening, but now runs a greenhouse business in the spring.
    We had a lilac, but it died. We`ll try the suggested varieties, thanks, Doug

• nanbow
    18 years ago

Born in CA, raised in rural WNY, I turned 21 in Daytona Beach. I've been in the Knoxville area for 10 years and my itchy feet are fading away. I like that we have seasons, which I missed in FL, but not the miserable winters of NY.
    I have to agree with the others on missing lilacs -- I see one here & there, but not the sheer magnitude that I remember seeing in Rochester (gee, the lilac festival is any day now!)

However, nothing compares to the beauty of an ETN spring. It's magic.

• Soeur
    18 years ago

Hey, Nanbow, I lived in Rochester for years. I loathed the weather there, I gotta tell ya. I took snow on Mother's Day personally -- I mean, come on, it's MAY. The lilacs in that area are spectacular for sure, though. I usually avoided the Lilac Festival because of the crowds, but I still wear an old beat up Lilac Festival 10K Race t-shirt to sleep in. :)

Marty

• atida
    18 years ago

Born, raised in Chicago and lived there for 58 years. We retired and moved to middle TN over 5 years ago. We go back to Chicago several times a year to visit family but it gets harder and harder to face the traffic and weather there. Gardening here is heaven once I accepted that the native plants are a great start and trouble free. I've attended the Tennessee Gardening Forum school too which made all the difference. Anita

• Jan_Hobbs
    18 years ago

Well I guess I'm a transplant, too, though we have been here for 30 years. I am from AZ, where I met my DH while I was in college and he was in the Air Force. After we married, we lived in Phoenix for 1 year and then moved to Wilmington NC where he is from. We traveled across US 64 on the move east and loved TN as we traveled the southern length of it. We said that is we ever left NC we were coming back here...and after 11 years, we did. It is a good place to raise kids and grand kids. The Lord dropped our farm into our laps, and now we have the privelege of sharing part of it with the plant swap.

Jan

• ragdollblue7
    18 years ago

I'm a newby transplant and I've found my paradise!!! Was born in Ohio, moved to Miami in late 60's, then to Los Angeles, CA (1981), to Ann Arbor, MI (1986), to Chicago (1989), back to FL (2002) for 2 years and now here! I'm retired and I could live anywhere I want, but just love it in TN. Friendly people, cheap housing and taxes, beautiful country. I'm in Audubon's paradise, everyday at my feeders I see golden finches, like 8 at a time, indigo buntings, woodpeckers, cardinals, hummingbirds, tufted titmouse, chickadees, robins, blue jays, and an occassional blue bird. This is right outside my kitchen and master bedroom window all day.

We just had a landscape design done and I can't wait to get started. With all the talk of lilacs, I will miss them. However, I did see a large lilac bush on farm property all in bloom. Our plan calls for 3 Miss Kim. In reading the prior messages I hope I have good luck in growing them.

But hey how about the smell of this honeysuckle! It's heavenly to me.

Sponsored