SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Bringing Up Old Thread: Time for Spooky Stories

sylviatexas1
15 years ago

well, I think this'll re-create the old post, but there's a "link" mentioned...& no link!

Posted by Calliope 6 (My Page) on Fri, Oct 14, 05 at 20:36

It's been years since we did this. I just can't seem to get into Halloween yet, and it's almost upon us. But even the most skeptic ones out there must have a few spooky stories to tell.

I'll start it out. Years ago, when my husband was away at war and I was raising two little ones all by myself. I was knitting away and decided to make a pot of tea. I put the kettle on, put the tea to steep and sat back down. About five minutes later, the kettle started to whistle ....again. I thought I'd left the burner on and went back to make it off. Sat back down, sure this time it was off, and after about five minutes the kettle started whistling a third time. By now I had goose bumps a mile tall and went up and made the burner off.....again. Totally spooked and trying to act cavalier, I spoke into the dark kitchen and said........if you are here put the kettle back on. Five minutes later, guess what?

Goosebumps are raising on my legs right now, lol. This is a true story.

----------------------------------------------------------

Posted by mWoods (My Page) on Fri, Oct 14, 05 at 20:54

I have had only one nightmare in my life. Back in the 80s I dreamed that my son was crushed by an elevator in a building and I couldn't get to him to save him. 2 days later at his summer job,he was crushed between two cars and had both hips broken.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Posted by just_di Maryland (My Page) on Fri, Oct 14, 05 at 22:09

Years ago,when my two kids were young, I rented a second floor in a very old house. Their bedroom was at the end of a narrow hall. At the other end of that hall, I had fallen asleep in the tv room. I awoke and in my immediate view was my golden retreiver with her hair standing on end.In that same split second I saw a "being" of some sort run down the hall from my kids room. It was very short, only 3 1/2 feet tall, complete with a hooded black cloak and although ran quickly, had a tiny stride.

My best guess would call this being an imp.

To this day, I have no rhyme or reason why I was not frightened as I simply commanded the little beast out of my home and to never return. I felt completely confident and

calm. I pulled my rank in a mighty way. I can't explain why I felt this way. It was scared of me! And I felt that, all the way through to my bones.

~di

Posted by sps_7_14 z8PNW (My Page) on Fri, Oct 14, 05 at 23:44

It is a fact that first cousins can be closer genetically than brothers and sisters. My cousin was one year older and we looked like twins. My middle son could use my cousins photos for ID.

My cousin lived with us for several years because of problems in his family and I loved the time he was there. He would take me with him when he was with his friends and I was accepted as one of the gang. He was funny and very handsome and a terrible student. He would get A's in Latin and History and flunk just about everything else! He asked me to go with his best friend to their senior prom because Kevin was very quiet and did not date yet. We doubled dated, had a ball and I remember a peck on the forehead as a thank you.

One night I was woken by a noise while I was sleeping. My cousin who had moved out a few months prior to this date, appeared at my bedside and spoke to me. He was sweet and gentle and I don't remember what we said to each other but it was not scary at all. We talked for a few moments and then he went out of my room and walked down the stairs. I felt him leave and then I woke up and realized that it was not real. The feeling was of total loss and I can feel it now just writing about it.

This was the last time I saw him because he moved and died within 5 years from an unusual strep infection. He was in his early 20's then and was about to marry the daughter of one of my parents best friends. I occasionally see her and we always spend a moment or two just sharing the love we had for him.

When people ask if I believe in haunted houses or ghosts, I say 'Of Course, I have been visited by a spirit.' It was a beautiful experience and when I think of the moment is as real as if it happened last night.

Posted by Blueheron z6 PA (My Page) on Sat, Oct 15, 05 at 18:31

I love to hear these true ghost stories. I've never experienced anything like that but I believe there are such things.

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on Sun, Oct 16, 05 at 21:33

I think I've mentioned my Aunt Ruth here before.

She's a little fey.

or psychic.

or spooky.

She talks to her relatives all the time, those of us who are here & those of us who have, as she says, "gone on".

She was especially close to her brothers, my Uncle Sterling, who died in an accident in about 1963, & my Uncle John, who died either the year before or the year after.

Ruth's husband Robert was ill for many years & often was in the hospital.

He was at home at the time of this incident (maybe 1978, 1979, 1980?) & seemed to be stable.

One day as she & I were chatting, Aunt Ruth said,

"Well, I talked to Sterling last night.

He came to me, & he said not to worry, that he & John were taking care of everything, & everything would be all right"

Within a week, her husband was in the hospital, & within another week, he had "gone on".

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on Sun, Oct 16, 05 at 21:37

Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ghostly Stories

Posted by lilod NCa/8 (My Page) on Mon, Oct 17, 05 at 11:18

Let me begin by saying that my late DH was a bit of a control freak and that he hated changes. He died 6 years after we moved to this place, and the furniture was still exactly where the movers had put it, discussions as to better arrangements were futile.

So after he had passed, my first project was to rearrange the living room to a much more convenient and pleasing conformation. One evening there he was! In his favorite blue jumpsuit and red flannel shirt, standing there, looking around with a faint smile, as if to say "I knew it".

I had to laugh!

After that the "Spook" wrought mischief, it happened whenever I made a major decision about something I wanted to do or purchase, some change he wouldn't have liked.

When I got the garden tractor, my keys disappeared and were eventually found on top of the horse-manure compost bin.

I had a house guest, a very nice (not romantic) old geezer from my pen-pal group, and his flip-up sun glasses diappeared, we looked all over and then found them right on the coffee table, and the stone from his ring was lost, I found it a couple of weeks later right by the front-door. It was a valuable stone, so B. was really happy when I mailed it to him.

The last, dramatic thing happened right after I got the first computer. I was still getting familiar with it's operation when there was a loud sound of glass shattering: My shower door had broken, there was glass all over the bathroom, what a mess!

Well, that did it! I wrote a letter to DH, telling him it wasn't funny! That he had to accept the fact I wanted to live my life the best I knew how, however he felt about it.

I asked him to forgive me for anything that I may have done and that I forgave him for anything he had done to offend, and wished him well on his journey.

Then I went to the place where his ashes are buried and burned the letter. - That was the end of the Spook.

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on Tue, Oct 18, 05 at 19:25

My friend Chris was especially close to her grandmother.

For nearly a year, they had shared Chris's bedroom when Gran could no longer stay in her own home.

When Gran died, Chris was bereft, but she told us (a group of 4 girls, all in our early teens) that she often felt her grandmother's presence.

We moaned & groaned & told her she was just trying to impress us or scare us or something.

One week-end we all spent the night at Chris's.

Since the rest of the household needed to get up like normal people, we closed Chris's bedroom door & turned off the light to talk.

There was one window, & its blinds had been lowered & its drape closed.

The room was dark.

During a lull in the conversation, one of the girls said, "Look at that!"

It was a rectangular-shaped bar of light shining on a wall.

At the same time, the temperature in the room dropped noticeably.

Chris said it was her grandmother.

We looked for a light source, couldn't find one,

looked for a draft source, couldn't find one.

Mighta been Gran.

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on Tue, Oct 31, 06 at 9:56

As many of you already know, I think the house I lived in Shelbyville was haunted. The previous tenants left in the middle of the night, leaving their belongings in the rooms and even in the washer and dryer. One day, we awoke to brown ooze coming from the ceiling all the way down the middle of the house right with no leaks and no water sources. I'd always felt watched in the front bedroom which eventually ended up being the nursery. One night, near the end, I was getting more and more agitated with whatever lived there besides us, I told him to leave my son alone... moments later, LF tripped getting into his toddler bed. He had a shiner from the short one foot fall! Earlier in the day, I asked LF why he was acting so off kilter and his dimmed, a serious look came over his face and he said, "They're chanting for us to get out". He meant it too. I'd never talked about it in front of him, ever. I'd made certain not to do it, and a two year old saying chanting, what the?! Where had he heard that word before?! No way. So after that day and his shiner, I told that spirit to leave, never to bother me, him, or anyone else ever again. As I lie in bed drifting off, I felt someone standing behind me. I never turned around to look I just said, I told you to get out! A flash of light out the back window and it felt different. There were no roads, driveways, or any other reasons for the light. It was an old unused pasture. I did find out later it might have been the location of an old train station. Who knows?

--------------------------------------------------------

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on Tue, Oct 31, 06 at 10:56

When I was stationed in Monterey our weekly mo was to drive 6 National rental cars deadhead to SF and catch a concert at Winterland then return in one car. That was 69 to 72 and there were a lot of great bands playing. Winterland (Filmore West) was said to be haunted by the ghost of a girl that jumped off the balcony.

We were watching the Chambers bros. band and had the requiste enhancements running through our systems (hey, it was a long time ago) and started up to the balcony. I noticed the stairs seemed to double then triple in number as though we were going into a different point of reality. when we got to the balcony there was a girl near the railing that seemed to stand out as in shinning/glowing but opaque. We watched for a short time then decided to get the heck out of there.

Are the Chambers Bros. part of a mystic Voodo thing or something? I still like their music as it was out there for the time and still is ground breaking IMHO. We also found the VW van broken into and the 8 track deck ripped out plus a large box of tapes gone.

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on Thu, Oct 30, 08 at 12:09

Years ago, on a Caribbean vacation, my roommate & I decided to change from our Tortolla hotel to one on St Thomas.

I had been having a wonderful time, sleeping like a rock.

went to sleep that night in the hotel on St Thomas, a beautiful 150 years-or-so-old building, & was absolutely tortured by nightmares of people moaning & crying, feelings of pain, terror, & bewilderment.

When I mentioned it to my roommate the next morning, she was amazed; she'd had nightmares, too.

We changed hotels.

When the porter was helping us with our baggage, I asked him what the hotel had been before it was converted to a hotel.

It had been a slave market.

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on Thu, Oct 30, 08 at 14:15

You added a story! Thanks Sylvia. I can only add anecdotal information. My car radio has been shorting out. It happens only when I am leaving school on Tuesday/Wednesday nights. It was where that caught my attention this week. Right by the cemetery. When I told my husband about this on Tuesday, he said, You mean it never shorts out on the interstate? Nope. And then it did! Almost to the house, it shorted out on I-440... right at Woodlawn cemetery. And then again on Wednesday night, as I drover over the Stones River Civil War battlefield. I just started laughing and could not stop, freaked me out! Eerie to say the least.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions