SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

posted by Cherokee joe on conversations.

sleeplessinftwayne
11 years ago

Posted by cherokee_joeshoeboot 6 (My Page) on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 21:56
After much research on this and other sites I decided to try raising some lotus from seeds. I went to a nearby Hobby Lobby and purchased some lotus seed heads. They didn't have any single heads so I had to buy a bunch contained 5 heads. I picked a bunch that had the largest heads with the most seeds still in place. I got them from there because I read on a forum somewhere that they were just as reliably viable as those you buy from a dealer. We'll see. I took the seeds from one head and got 25 seeds. After breaking the hard cover of the seeds with my dremel tool I placed them in warm water to start the process. 2 of them floated so I took them out and discarded them. I paid only $3 for all 5 seed heads so if only 10% germinate I'm way ahead of the game financially. I'm anxious to see what happens and will update my post as things progress. If anyone has tips or tricks for raising lotus from seed please let me know.
A question: is it possible to get more than one color from the same seed head? I assumed that it was because the random pollination could have multiple contributing plants as the other (male) parent. Just a guess. Let me know what you think.

Comments (10)