SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azponder

My Pond w/pics : Plant and Turtle Suggestions?

azponder
17 years ago

I nearly came to blows with my contractor over it...but I am now excited to actually make my new pond come alive. We need to paint the walls and stain the concrete patio but blessedly the pond build is over :D I am hoping you guys can help me with some plant ideas and settle some questions about the animals I should put in here.

The Pond

{{gwi:189783}}

Its 12'x8' and basically two different ponds. The back corner is going to be wall to wall plants to act as a second filter and the bottom portion is where the fish and "other tenets" will live.

Plant Area

{{gwi:189784}}

The water coming in from the filter is in the right corner near the camera and it comes out a good clip. The water does a circle then ends up coming down the falls by the pink rock in the bottom left corner.

Floaters?

Given the falls and the current can I get away with any floaters up here?

Plants

In the far corner I want to put a really tall plant so that the eye is drawn upwards. Then a couple pots of something maybe 3-4 feet high so I can see it above the boulder waterfall. Then right up at the rim, some sort of underwater plant that might creep up over the rim. Parrot Feather maybe? Also I want to stick with red, yellow orange and whites flowers.

Fish?

I want to put some mosquito fish up there but am worried the falls will eventually put em all below. Any thoughts?

Fish Area

{{gwi:189785}}

Here's where the fish and "others" will live. I know the fish I want down there, but wonder if I have room for 2 lilies and where they should go. I also want to know if I can put a turtle in there.

Fish

I have decided on goldfish and some mosquito fish. I think I will start with maybe 6-8 fish so I have room for a few babies in the future. Shibunkins, comets and maybe an oranda or two.

Plants

With a skimmer is there any floater plants I can use?

I also want to put one or two lilies in here but am not sure where to put them. The far wall on the left is where the skimmer is. In the left corner closest to the camera is the bottom drain, then you have the water fall in right corner. The ripples are lessened by the stones so the water isn't too turbulent. Against the back wall it is 12" deep and then a gradual slope down to 36" at the bottom drain. Can I put a hardy on that back wall and maybe right in the corner

Turtle?! :D

I really really want a turtle. However, I need to be sure he can't escape the pond and if there's enough land for one.

Enough Dry Land?

The rock in the middle is about 1 inch below the surface with a gradual slope up to the other two rocks which give about 2 square feet of dry land. I had a turtle as a kid who lived in an aqaurium that makes this pond look like a palace. But, on occasion I would let him run around the yard. I don't think I will be able to catch this guy without getting really wet, so he probably won't get to get out much. Will he be happy with that much land?

Escape Proof?

The bigger question is whether one might be able to get out. As you can see its a 24" drop to cement around the pond and if I am not really confident that one can't get out, I won't get one.

From his sun rock it would be a vertical climb on the far side then a treachorous climb across three boulders to the far wall which is only 4" wide and sloped so if he could get out that way he would be part frog. In theory I guess he could get up the waterfall and in to the top pool if he is some kind of super turtle, but the sides are 6 " above the waterline and sheer around the top and bottom ponds. So if he got up there he wouldn't get out.

Filtration

The 1100 gallons are recirculated 2.5 times an hour (3200gph pump with loss through head and plumbing) in to a Nitramax filter, so I am fairly confident that I have the filtration I need to keep up with 10 goldfish and turtle.

Heh heh sooo after all that, what do you guys think? Can I get a little green guy and what kind of plants would look good in there?

Comments (7)