SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
casey_t_gw

Goldfish magically appeared, now they are breeding like rabits!

casey_t
16 years ago

I used to work at a Garden center. Our garden center sold aquatic plants and we tested out some Koi one year but decided not to continue with them. I took the three remaining Koi home and put them in an aquarium.

We built a new home and I decided to dig a pond for the koi. Unfortunately, the stress of the move and the environment caused 2 to not make it and I was left with just one. I bought another koi to keep it company.

That was 6 years ago. Two years ago, when the water was crystal clear during the onset of winter I saw three baby fish. I assumed they were koi but as they started getting bigger last year (they grew to about 4-5 inches) I can't see any whiskers so I am guessing they are just goldfish...

Well, as winter started coming last year and the water became crystal clear again, I saw what I thought were 3 or 4 new baby goldfish. The pond froze like it did every year and today the ice was finally melted. I looked in the pond to see the baby fish and what I saw was a school of 20-30 baby goldfish about an inch big.

My pond pond is about 10 ft by 5 ft, with a maximum depth of about 5 ft. We have mature water lillies and other aquatic plants, but I am concerned about the breeding rate of these goldfish. They have become pets and but I am worried that the pond just isn't going to be big enough for them. I am already considering either making my pond bigger or digging up a second pond.

My question is: is there a way to stop them from breeding like rabbits? Also, how many fish is my pond able to sustain? I am mostly worried about the water condition, as too many fish could, I assume, greatly harm the water condition for them because of their waste.

Also, in other people's experience, are fish stores usually good about taking in goldfish from people's ponds? I'd hate to see them go, but I want them to be healthy too.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus