SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emagsamurai

Hydroseeding with Bermuda

EmagSamurai
12 years ago

After getting some great feedback from some of the members here, it looks like I'll be planting Bermuda next April or May. I have a huge space that could be planted (somewhere between 1 and 1.5 acres), but I think between shaded areas and just accepting some areas can wait, I can get my lawn down to around 30,000 s.f. My question becomes what is the best way to approach this. I'm considering having it hydroseeded, and after speaking with someone locally, they seem to feel they have great success with Bermuda even without irrigation.

Can anyone offer any advice on what I should expect if I have this done without irrigation? Again, the gentleman I spoke with indicated that they use this product on commercial applications that only get rain for irrigation, and he has extremely good results. I'm a little skeptical to say the least.

Is there really an advantage to using hydroseeding over just seeding and putting down straw? I understand the theory is that by including the fertilizer and the mulch you have a better chance of successful establishment, but I'm wondering if this transfers to real world.

And finally, the entire yard will be graded before seeding, and likely covered with a layer of native soil that was excavated from my basement. Is there anything I can do ahead of time to help my lawn in the long term such as spreading wood chips over the yard to be covered when they grade. I think I can get all the wood chips I want from the city for free.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals