SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

Herons at my pond

sleeplessinftwayne
15 years ago

I haven't seen the beautiful killers recently at my pond but I have seen them at a couple of nearby ponds since the ice melted. The river is likely to be too dangerous at a few inches to flood level. But they are at those other ponds. That makes me wonder about something I have accepted without thought. Just about every post on herons mentions they are wading birds and they need shelves to stand on to get the fish and so the necessity for straight sides.

The birds at those other ponds are not in the water. They are standing on the banks. A local restaurant looks over a pond with rip-rap sides and the birds have difficulty standing or wading on it. I have seen herons take fish at those ponds. At my own pond I have never seen the bird in the water before it attacks. It is always standing at the end outside the pond, beside the Skippy where there is no shelf before it dives head first into the water. Actually it has to hop over a foot high side to get in the water. It doesn't seem to be an impediment to a dive.

What am I missing here? Even the birds at the unflooded river often stand on a sandbar well out of the water and after a flurry of wings they dive headfirst to get their supper. They are not wading either. Why are my observations not agreeing with what seems to be accepted fact here? Sandy

Comments (13)