SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pt747

Bent Grass Questions

pt747
15 years ago

A couple years ago I filled in an inground swimming pool in back yard and planted a Pennington KBG mix seed. Back yard is dark green and weed free. Neighbors call my back yard a golf course! I too am impressed on how well it has established, doing all the work myself with a skid steer and 3 semi-truck loads of un-screened soil. But......

Front yard is mostly bentgrass. I had my lawn care service aerate and overseed with KBG last fall as they said it would help out-grow/take over the bentgrass.

I switched to a new lawn service company this spring. Entire front and back yards are weed free, but I have probs with the front yard. Under 1 large tree, grass is very thin. I re-seeded in early, mid, and late spring hoping for grass to grow, but still the same thing. Grass is there but doesnt grow high. Branches of tree start at about 12-15 feet and this area gets much light, so tree isnt covering or shading this area. I have applied Milorganite trying to add nutrients to this area with no help. The rest of the front yard is thriving bent grass, but if I cut too low (Setting on 3 inches), I get yellowish/brownish grass. If I cut too high (4 inches), the grass just bends over hardly even cut and can be up to 8-10 inches long. Its now late in the year but wanted to get some advice on maintaing bent grass lawns.

As I stated, I have a lawn care service and get great results and have no cpomplaints. But looking at neighbors lawns who dont apply anything, my front lawn looks just as theirs, no better.

Thanks, -Pat

Comments (2)