SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crueltyfre

Clan Orchid Visit

crueltyfre
14 years ago

Yesterday some GardenWebbers from Tampa went down to Sarasota to visit some greenhouses/growers down there. Clan was one of them.

This is three greenhouses next to their home. We were only allowed to go into two of them. They had told us up front that virtually nothing was in bloom and it wasn't, I think I saw maybe 10 plants in bloom total. We had gone to Tropiflora first, which was mostly bromeliads/succulents, but they had a table full of orchids in bloom, some on sale. So finding nothing in bloom at the orchid place was odd. I know my vanda's are blooming now as were the ones at Tropiflora, but none at Clan.

I did see some very small unique things that piqued my interest, but when I lifted the pot I saw an Oak Hill tag on them.

This is a husband/wife buisness and they were very nice and friendly and answered all our questions. When one of the others on the trip saw some ginger they had growing in their yard, they gave him free of charge a clump of it. They also gave him some old orchid hangers at no charge.

She cut me a deal on the three I bought, dropping a few dollars off the price so that was nice. She even looked something up on an area of confusion for me.

My overall impression plant wise was that things were small. I saw some large dendrobiums and vanda's but most items seemed to be seedlings or first bloom size. Could be that the larger things were in the other greenhouse that we couldn't get in, don't know.

Lori

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert