SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ditnc

Some general grass growing Qs

ditnc
14 years ago

Hi, struggling here. I was trying to get trees cut down and coordinate that with seeding. I ended up seeding late (Oct 13, well not really late for central NC but I usually do it earlier, and I have to do it every year b/c I live on a white quartz/clay hill with a shady back yard). Then the tree guys were scheduled to come on Oct 27 to remove 3 trees and prune others. They messed up a bunch of stuff (I knew the grinder would impact some things, but thought the grass would be somewhat germanated and damage would be minimal) and cut my cable line. I reseeded those parts. Then the cable guys appear and dug up some areas, mostly putting "divots" back, but they also used this bobcat type thing to drive cable under the driveway and that screwed up an area big time. The saga goes on with the tree guys having to redo stump grinding, thus messing up the seeded areas, 3 times.

So I have been out there seeding, re-seeding, watering, REPEAT, REPEAT, etc. for the past few weeks. I think the trauma is over now except that I have varying levels of grass growth, from seed to over 4." And now I have a ton of leaves.

Should it be mowed since an area would have both seeded and new grass shoots in a mow line? Should I leave the leaves on top of the grass seed for now? Will the leaves smother new growth? My yard guy has not mowed and think he doesn't know what to do b/c of the variances, but I know that long new grass is bad for some reason.

But mostly, do I still have time (zone 7 Raleigh area) to get grass to germanate? I could strangle the yard guy for not doing the stumps correctly the first time and bringing that grinder back 2 more times and damaging the yard and losing time! I lost 10 precious days from that. The temps are running to highs in the 70s (but mostly 50/60s) to lows in the 40s/50s but WITH an occasional 30-something reading overnight).

Lesson learned: plan better next year or move to an area where growing grass is easier ;-)

Comment (1)