SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun_n_surf_chaser

Greetings from the beach.

sun_n_surf_chaser
17 years ago

Hello everyone! From reading some of the posts today, it seems everyone is doing well and had a good summer. I've been offline for quite some time due to, moving(again), puter puttering out right after we moved, getting a new pc,and so forth.

Since I don't have my old email addy and couldn't get my password for di, I had fun with a new handle.

Geewiz, I think it was late spring/early summer, the last time I posted here. May, I think.

As some of you may remember, mr di and I restored that old house this time last year, sold it and moved to DE. Some of you may remember that we also didn't have concrete plans. Good thing too,lol. Mr di and I consider ourselves to be very postive people and honestly did our best with our move but we have never been so unhappy. So, we put that house up for sale and bought a different one. Costly mistake? Yes. A mistake that we we're willing to lay in our bed and stay there? Nope. Life is too short. We needed to correct our error.

We've had that house listed since late may and haven't gotten a nibble but on the good side of the coin, we found a new house in June and love it! A 3 bdrm rancher, roughly 1100sq ft, no basement or garage. Last week we put up a 10x10 shed. It's nestled in a very densely wooded lot. I was mentioning on Marda's quote thread today that I have 97 trees and 76 Mountain Laurels on a small lot. Not one blade of grass but I'm anxious to learn, experiment, fail and succeed with new and old favorite shade loving plants. I guess I could describe it as saying I have multiple tree clusters that can become many garden islands with tiers, a literal sea of Impatiens, for instance, could cover the many areas under the Laurels and plenty of space for hydrangreas, malllows, azaleas and rhodies which thrive in this enviroment. Since I don't have grass, this yard lends itself to the multiple gardens with pine needle pathways look we all love to ooo and ahh over. Even though that takes years, this lot was so neglected, just clearing it and the begining plantings would be satisfying. It's so wooded and natural looking as it sits, any phase of a gardening plan couldn't look undone. No nagging feeling of, "Oh I wish I made time to fill in that area. It looks so empty." These conditions are so exciting to me and I look forward to gardening with such a forgiving pallete.

Our house is located about 5 miles from the Atlantic at Ocean City Maryland which for less of a better term, is a 13 mile long, 1 mile wide barrier island. Heading away from the ocean, one crosses over a small bay called Assawoman Bay to a very tiny island then over the St. Martins River, where we are located. Again, 5 miles from the ocean but not a lot land in that stretch. Obviously, this is a huge boating community adjacent to a bustling beach resort which is becoming busier off season more and more every year. We love being very close to as much craziness as we need but have our peaceful refuge in the woods. Being the extroverts that we are, Mr. di and I need/want this level of activity and stimulation around us. I'm not too keen about the 400,000 or so bikers that will be decending on us this weekend for the annual bike week, but hey, only a biker could love that.

Instead, we get the grandson this weekend and it continues to be a joy teaching him how to build sand castles, watch him smack his lips when he tastes the salt of the sea and learning important words like "beach", "sand", "wave" and "boardwalk".

Mr. di and I really lazied it up this summer and became bronzed babes,lol. We renovated enough, moved enough and took ourselves a hiatus. We're getting back in gear now that the weather is changing.

I wanted to thank you all again for your kind words when I last posted in may over our ailing old lab, "Summer". Hands down she was Mr. di's dog and I knew it was his call to say when she left us. As most of us do, we hold on as long as we can, which he did. Our Summer-girl, named that since she was a birthday gift given at the begining of summer, was with us until the last day of summer. Summer's last day was labor day, the last day of summer. Mr. di cried and wailed like I've never seen him before.

It's great to be back, to re-connect and I look forward to catching up with everyone.

~di

Comments (14)

Sponsored
More Discussions