SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
green_go

Pond as a natural water collector with no liner� bad idea?

Hi guys,

I read lots of topics in this forum in these past few days and it seems that all of you have artificial ponds with liners�. I am looking for some advice whether it is possible to build an artificial pond with no liners, just natural clay bottom/sides, which will serve as a reservoir for the excess water (spring water, rain water)�

I have an area in my backyard which is almost always wet (well, 10-11 months a year )�. It only dries out completely during the long hot spells in July� So, I was thinking � what if I can excavate this area and build a pond, thus killing 2 birds at once: to have a water collector for all this excess water and which will also look like a nice(?) pond with possibly a bog garden around it - no fish (or maybe just a couple for mosquito control). The soil in this area is dark clay (about a foot deep, it becomes very light grey clay)

If this is possible in theory, then of course, I will have tons of follow-up questions: how this will work during the dry weather? Should I replenish the pond with the water from the hose? etc. Can you direct me to the right websites/forums where I can get some info?

Below are the pictures of the portion of the yard where I think the pond could be build

Pic 1: the "green spot" is the area where I think the pond could be build: the water does not drain and stays on the surface and the grass remains green even in the winter:

{{gwi:186110}}

Pic 2: Close-up of the green wet spot:

{{gwi:186111}}

Pic 3: Marshy area in the woods behind the "green spot" where the excess water from the pond could be redirected:

{{gwi:186112}}

Comments (11)