SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

Natural ponds

grullablue
15 years ago

We have a pond behind our house, it's a natural pond, I'm guessing a couple acres in size. The beginning of spring, it's beautiful, sparkling blue water, frogs singing, I love living here. But come summer, it's just gross. Covered in green algae. I'm embarrassed for anyone to see it! We have a woods here, so the pond is surrounded by trees, except for the part that faces our house, which is our backyard.

I have read some about aeration systems one can put in...but those are oh so expensive, I'm wondering if there's any way to treat the water in this pond for the time being until something more permanent (and expensive) can be done? I see we are already getting the algae growth, so it's only a matter of time until the entire surface is covered. It's a shallow pond, I could walk across it and keep my head above water (and I'm 5'5"), and I don't believe there are any fish in it. There have been some years we've had droughts and it has completely dried up. I believe it's just fueled by rain and run off. But unless we have a severe drought, it's never dry. So I can't imagine fish could survive without being restocked if it dries up obviously, since I've never seen any bodies... although we do have painted turtles and snappers living in it. And mallards and Canadian Geese who visit daily.

I love this pond. Unfortunately we cannot afford to do it the justice it deserves. But I'm wondering if there's anything we CAN afford to do to help it for now...until we can get some aeration going in it to help?

Thanks for any input.

Angie

Comments (20)