SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dw314159

Brown/green pond water - HELP!

dw314159
14 years ago

I have an 800 gallon mature pond, a P3000 Blagdon pump, pumping a metre of head to a Green Genie 3000 filter and down a waterfall.

I have just cleaned the pump and replaced the UV bulb.

I have two medium sized Koi and two Golden Orfe, and a few tiddlers when I can see them....

and that's the problem.

The water is always brownish,even in winter it rarely improves, and it is now Spring and the visibility is less than a foot.

The brown stuff is very fine light material that drops out of the water and lies on the ledges, the plants and the bottom.

I've added filter medium as the Green Genie comes with only two pads, but that hasn't changed anything. I've tried chemicals but that works for a few days and only partially, then back to brown water again. The filter medium is full of wrigglies, so i guess it's healthy but there is never any sediment at the bottom (should there be?)

I am getting quite depressed about this, aparently having run out of ideas. My next step is to buy a new bigger pump and a new bigger filter...but my worry is that I spend all that money but it doesn't get rid of the problem.

I've tried my local pond shops but they just sell me more chemicals.

Is there anyone out there who recognises the problem and who can advise on the remedy?

signed,

Desperate.

Comments (26)