SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tucker_sp

Cats and orchids

tucker_sp
10 years ago

This is a weird question, and I'm aware that I might not get an answer, but I'll try anyway: I brought 2 of my orchids, a pink Dendrobium cuthbertsoni and a red D. laevifolium, up to the living room to display in the garden window. Very soon, one of our cats showed a real interest, trying to rub on them, paying particular attention to the D. cuthbertsoni. I repositioned them so that there were a couple of other pots in front of the 2 Dens, so that the cat would have a harder time getting its face onto the orchids, but it still tried, and very soon a second cat was acting the same, almost as though there was catnip in the pots. Because it is so small, I removed the D. cuthbertsoni and put it where the cats could not get at it, and they showed no further interest at all in the D. laevifolium. As soon as I put the D. cuthbertsoni back, the cats were right back at it.
I have never seen this sort of behaviour before - the cats have never shown any interest in my orchids, other than perhaps batting at a dangling flower. Has anyone had a similar experience? Are there orchids that attract cats?
Tucker

Comments (2)