SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Latouria dendrobiums are my nemesis

16 years ago

I have had a dendrobium roy tokunaga (atroviolaceum x johnsoniae) x nora tokunaga (Dendrobium atroviolaceum ÃÂ Dendrobium rhodostictum) for 3 years now....and it hates me or something because in the span of 3 years, I've had 3 new growths each year, the first of which was smaller than all the other existing growths when I purchased it, the second lost both it's leaves within a week of them unfurling, and the third, which I was very hopeful for since it had elongated to larger than all the other growths, turned to brown mush in a matter of 48 hours.

I essentially gave up on it at the beginning of the summer (it seems to delight in producing new growths in late winter) and chucked it, bare root, into a pot. I thought it would be a goner, but I checked it today and there is, once again, the little green nub signaling a new growth. I am 99% certain that this will be it's last attempt, EVER...I mean, I doubt it even has any eyes left to grow from. Anyway, I'm really at a loss as to what to do.

Sources say bright dend light, which I supplied and ended up burning off one of the leaves (while my other regular bigibbum dends frolic hapily, putting out new , as if in mockery). Granted, it was a new leaf that burned...so do the leaves need to be hardened off before sun exposure?? To the best of my knowledge and experience, it's usually the new leaves that are the most sun-resistant (at least that's the way it is with my catts). Sources say damp media in growth, which I supplied and resulted (at least I think) in the rotting of a new growth. I've tried it in fine-ish bark and perlite (which is what it came in) the first year, which I assumed was too dry, tried sphag mixed in with it for the second and third years, to no avail.

I can't seem to find one of those useful culture sheet things for Dendrobium atroviolaceum which I assume is the main genetic contributor to this cross. I grow in the home environment, so I don't get the luxury of nice humidity, but instead, suffer from low humidity, light and temperatures in winter, although much better conditions in summer (75-85F). Most of my other plants, even the dends like bigibbum which enjoy temperature ranges of 75-85F year long, I manage to overwinter. They sulk a bit, but then spring back in the summer, producing new growths. Is this particular dend truly that temperamental? The vendor said it was EASY to grow, but I guess they always say that.

I really *really* like latouria dends. I want to try other ones, but if they're all gonna be this sulky, I may just have to refrain. :(

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths