SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corpsmancooper

Bought my first orchid! HELP!

CorpsmanCooper
12 years ago

Okay! So, I've been wanting an orchid forever. Last night I treated myself and bought 2 phalaenopsis orchid. They're just a wee little things and I didn't pay much for them at the big box store. The way I look at it is, if I kill them I will only have lost a little bit of money :-). Anywho! I need some tips and tricks of the trade if you could! I live in Panama City, Florida and I have mine in the carport turned in to sitting room. The carport is on the west side of the house but they don't get any direct sunlight. We also just installed a ceiling fan in the "sitting room" so there is air circulation. I'm not sure what they're potted in. Looks to be some type of moss. They are already in bloom and I tried to pick some that had multiple buds unopened on them. Also, their stems look like they may grow some more and produce more buds. I have a rain barrel so that's perfect if they like rain water. I also live on a well so no city water for me. However, I do know our well has a lot of sulfer. So, i bought the rain barrel to water my plants that are potted and prefer rain water. Do they like to be misted? I'm assuming not since I really shouldn't get the leaves wet. Also, was curious if I should dead head or just let the flowers come off naturally? What are the best kind of pots for them? One is in taracota (spelling?) pot and the other is just a plastic cup variety. I was think of eventually putting them in hanging baskets and hanging them under my magnolia tree. Is that a good idea or bad? Thanks for answering my questions! Also, I should probably mention I'm new to Florida gardening. I'm originally from Michigan!

Comments (2)