SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosenbarn

Frogs found dead in my pond

rosenbarn
14 years ago

It's been a while, and I can't find anything on here about what could possibly be happening to my frogs. Last weekend, we had a good warmup here in NC (Piedmont area), with the temperatures getting to almost mid 60's for a few days. For the past 5 years, I've had a water pond in my backyard that keeps koi in it and a few fish from the creek that's been in there for nearly 2 years ~ knotty heads in particular. I have had leopard frogs and bull frogs and toads inhabit the pond without any problems. Now the weather's getting colder again, and I've found 2 DEAD frogs (leopards) in the bottom of the pond within the past week. I've not sprayed any pesticides, not done anything unusual outside. Did the warm weather bring them back out and kill them once it got cold again? Our days are again back in the 30's and nights are 20's. Is there anything I can do to keep anymore from dying? I have the pond bordered in rock with lots of good hiding places. Toad houses, a few leaves in the bottom of the pond for hiding and keep the filter and waterfall running year round to prevent freezing.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting