SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bwalters_gw

Falling Water Level?

bwalters
14 years ago

I have searched the forum and have not found anyone else with my exact issue, so I'd like to briefly describe it in the hopes of getting some insight from someone.

Pond specifics (see photos below):

- 2,000 gals

- 5ft deep at the deep end (opposite end from waterfall)

- straight sides, no rocks (except for the border), no plants

- 2 separate filtration systems- one biofalls (mechanical filtration is 8 layers of quilt batting sandwiched between 2 filter pads), and biological media is pea gravel, along with bacopa plants. The 2nd filtration system is a 55g barrel upflow system; mechanical filtration is exactly as above, biological filtration is several bags of kitchen scrubbies. Each system is powered by a 2800gph pump; each has a retro bottom drain that takes water from the deep end of the pond

- 400gph UV filter, apropriately diverted to allow for efficient UV action

- several koi- 8" to 24"; the quality of filtration is such that ammonia and nitrites are always 0, pH in the 8 range.

My problem is that the water level consistently falls 6", then levels off (doesn't fall any further). I thought at first that there was a leak, but even after pulling back all the rocks around the border, inspecting the waterfall, inspecting all plumbing and connections, etc, there is 0 evidence of a leak.

I read a response by Mike_Il to another poster's issue, where he said this:

"As far as the batting goes there is no drag on the pump what will happen is the water level where the pump is will drop as the batting gets dirty. At first there will be almost no drop but as the batting gets dirty the level will continue to drop until the pump sucks in air."

Thinking that this was related to my issue, I changed out the filter pads and the QB from both filters, and as part of the annual cleanup, vacuumed the floor and did an 80% water change.

Subsequently, the water level still falls- but whereas before it fell 6", it now falls 3" before leveling off.

I was admittedly ignorant about the fact that the filter pads and QB being clogged has a direct impact on the water level, but clearly it has some impact. But what else is going on why the water level is still falling? Is there too much mechanical filtration?

The water level did this for a significant portion of last summer (2 months or so), and then abruptly one day, it stopped falling. It recently started up again late this fall; this leads me to believe it is not a leak.

Anyone with any insight? I'd be ecstatic to hear it; if I had any hair, I'd be pulling it out at this point. Thanks in advance.

Brian.

{{gwi:182919}}

{{gwi:182922}}

{{gwi:182924}}

{{gwi:182926}}

Comments (15)