SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

A perfect day.... (photo heavy)

deanneart
17 years ago

Good Morning Idyllers,

What can I say except yesterday was one of those perfect days where you have to sit back and really and truly live in that moment because it just doesnÂt get better. The weather was a complete surprise to me (probably Sue also) because it was gorgeous, all day and evening. There was no rain, wind or uncomfortable temperature and just enough breeze to keep the insects at bay. There were only a few puffy white clouds to decorate the pristine blue sky. As I said perfect!

Wendy came to NH in the AM and we had a lovely couple hours touring the gardens here. Poor gal! I probably talked her ears off doing our walk about but I canÂt tell you what a treat it is to have a gardener in your garden. You folks all Âget it where most of my friends, family and neighbors just think it is pretty but a bit much if you know what I mean.

Anyway we had a pleasant drive to the Hartford area to pick up Sue and Tom then continued on to Les and MoniqueÂs for our al fresco dinner and garden tour. We took a few minutes to have a couple of the gorgeous, plump shrimp with zesty cocktail sauce to take the edge off our appetites, collected our beverage of choice, I had a delightful crisp sauvignon blanc that complimented the shrimp perfectly, then it was off to the gardens. The fellows decided to sit in the shade on the deck to enjoy the day and Monique guided Sue, Wendy and I around their wonderful gardens. The creative use of their land never ceases to amaze and please. The fairly level and long property is now graced by undulating borders with cul-de-sacs tucked away in unexpected places with strategically placed seating to enjoy the views. Here are a few images from our tour.

I love their entrance with the violet door that picks up all the colors in the surrounding plantings.

{{gwi:167904}}

{{gwi:167905}}

{{gwi:167906}}

I love their repetition of color in a grouping, this iris against the C ÂPolish Spirit with garden ornament in the same colors is wonderful.

{{gwi:167907}}

What a terrific new addition to their garden art. This urn is quite large and impressive.

{{gwi:167908}}

I love the grouping with the Sambucus ÂSutherland GoldÂ

{{gwi:167909}}

Sweet Emma

{{gwi:167910}}

This is a wonderful, creative treatment using these two terra cotta containers. TheyÂve planted a F. ÂGartenmeister in the ground next to the corner of the taller container to soften the edge. Brilliant!

{{gwi:167911}}

{{gwi:167912}}

{{gwi:167913}}

I LOVE this pink container

{{gwi:167914}}

{{gwi:167915}}

After our tour we settled in to our comfy seats on the deck and enjoyed a fabulous meal with a lobster orzo dish that was over the top fabulous, a delicious chilled corn salad with fresh cilantro and perfectly grilled salmon with hoysen sauce. Some yummy!!!!

Then it was off to Hartford for dessert.

We still had plenty of daylight to explore SueÂs marvelous gardens. Tom whipped up a batch of his fantastic margaritas enjoy while touring the borders. As always it was a treat to wander her paths through the plantings. She has the most creative and wonderful treatment of shade areas IÂve ever seen and IÂm always inspired to improve my shade gardens after visiting her. Sue treated us to a delightful fresh blueberry pie with a homemade cookie crust and fresh whipped cream. Just in case we were still feeling a bit on the hungry side (LOL) she also offered fresh fruit salad and mini chocolate éclaires.

And now some images from our evening at Sue and TomÂs

{{gwi:167917}}

{{gwi:167918}}

{{gwi:167919}}

Sue gave me a piece of this H ÂStriptease but mine has a long way to go before it reaches this size and beauty.

{{gwi:167920}}

This Hakone grass has to be the best specimen of this plant IÂve ever seen. It is fabulous and huge!

{{gwi:167921}}

You have to see this H. ÂSum and Substance in person to realize just how enormous it is.

{{gwi:167922}}

{{gwi:167924}}

{{gwi:167925}}

One of SueÂs Âscores from Jo AnnÂs Fabrics

{{gwi:167926}}

{{gwi:167927}}

{{gwi:167928}}

This banana is wonderful and such a perfect focal point for the patio garden.

{{gwi:167929}}

OK all, IÂve got to go and get ready for another holiday barbeque today and must be off. I hope you enjoyed your photo tour!

Deanne

Comments (17)