SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akebono_gw

Cattleya loddigesii--total sun hog or possible on a windowsill?

akebono
16 years ago

My latest drool is over a mini catt: C. loddigesii x SC Beaufort 'Hartford's Elmwood.' (Carter and Holmes' site). I have never attempted anything in the catt allliance for fear I lack enough light for bloom. I can offer plenty of sun outdoors in the summer, but indoors gets tricky. I have 2 windows to choose from: both south/southwest, but these are mostly shaded by my neighbor's norway maple until early November (really fun to garden under, lemme tell you). One window is warm-ish (70 day/60 night), one quite cool (60s day/50 or below night). Which window would ya'll put it in? I am not new to orchids otherwise, and grow a mixed collection of named Neo clones, some variegated Phals, a few Paphs, and a variegated warm-tolerant nobile Dend (which shocks me by blooming at least twice a year), and a few odd species. Tell me about loddigesii's habits: season of bloom, quirks, tricks, caveats, etc. If anyone has experience with the exact catt hybrid I'm drooling over, by all means, tell me ALL about your experience with it. Thanks, fellow orchid freaks (totally a term of endearment, you understand).

Comments (2)