SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ourfamilygarden

scale or mites - help asap please

ourfamilygarden
13 years ago

Hi, everyone!

As many of you know, I had to resort to planting my herbs in pots this year. So, I need to take them all in. I don't know how I'm going to do this!

In any event, some plants I've always had to take in and overwinter. I began by bringing in the most sensative ones two weeks ago, one of which being our Lollipop plant and coffee plants. Unfortunately, the lollipop plant - that was thriving and flowering beautifully - became INFESTED with something. I have gotten mixed information, but I think it is scale. I've been told they could be scale, spider mites, or mealy bugs. It is a white substance that is marshmellow in texture.

We went to home depot and we were going to use neem oil, since I've been told it is the best organic product out there. (I see a resent thread on that, and I'm going to read it in a moment).

HOWEVER, they didn't have need oil, but they did have another product that has left me with some questions.

The product contained "sesame seed oil" as the ACTIVE ingredient. Inactive ingredients included water, lethicin, and fish oil.

The man at home depot was SO nice. I was concerned aobut the fish oil. He looked it up and found that there is a fish oil odor with the product.

As we have four (4) kitties (our cats are strictly indoors, except if walked on a leash and harness). So, that product is, obviously, out of the question!

So, my question is: has anyone used sesame oil? I was going to buy some and put it in a spray bottle, and try it. I can only find toasted sesame oil. I was oil contemplating if I should use 1/2 water (oil and water separate, but I imagine I'd have to shake vigorously before using.).

Oh, another man at home depot told us to just get Ivory soap, and use a Tbsp to so a quart of water. He said that has the exact properties the pesticides have that include what will kill the bugs. I don't want to use that on the herbs, though.

Comments (4)