SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Avoiding the 'Middle Man'

orchidnick
13 years ago

This is not really about avoiding the 'Middle Man', more about avoiding the cost of growing up plants to the point where they established in a pot or an a mount and then sold for the usual price. I visited a small grower and got a goodly number of plants. Instead of walking out with a box full of mounted or potted plants, I walked out with a box full of cuttings wrapped in newspaper with a label inside the little package.

Normally he would make small divisions, pot them up and when they are fully established with new growth and a good root system sell them for the usual price. This time we looked at a plant, I nodded consent, he decided if it could yield a front division and he pulled off 3 to 4 bulbs with a front growth. As he did this, I wrote the label and wrapped the plant in 1/2 a page of the Sunday news and dropped it into my box. His work time for this sale would be less than a minute.

He charged me less than 25% of the usual sale price. and threw in a number of bonus plants.

Today I will pot or mount these plants, I will do this work which I thoroughly enjoy and end up with 5 times as many plants as I would have gotten buying them in the usual way. Granted, they are not established, but if you are a confident grower, why not establish them yourself and save a bundle of money.

Not every grower will do this but this is the second time I have done this and have an offer pending to walk through someone's growing area and liberated 4 to 5 leaves from Masdies, Dracs and other American rain forest plants, and again establish them myself saving a ton of money in the process. It's worth asking, all they can do is say 'NO' if they don't want to do this but if it's possible, it's a fun way to score new plants.

Nick

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!