SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeg75

Advice on timing grub treatment, dethatch, aerate, reseed project

mikeg75
15 years ago

Hi all, wanted to seek some timing advice for repairing my lawn from grub damage that has become pretty drastic in some parts of my small TTTF sodded yard (1200 ft2). Most of my small side yard faces the south-southwest, and the part next to the house is where the most grub damage occured, due to very dense grass that got pretty thatchy and my not preventing grubs before they infested the lawn.

Today and yesterday I dethatched and pulled out dead clumps. I'm waiting for organic neem oil to arrive in the mail, to kill the grubs. If that doesn't work I'm going to try nemotodes. I have a 3-year-old son that is very active and I don't want to put chemicals on my grass.

Last fall I overseeded with great results this spring, but I realize I should have done preventative treatment for grubs too. Now I'm going to treat the grubs and overseed again, but I'm wondering if there's any advice on timing that I should be aware of. I'm afraid to dethatch too much because the parts the grubs didn't kill totally are easily pulled like carpet but are still 50% green, as opposed to the totally dead area next to my house that when removed, exposed grubs at over 15/in2.

Once I treat the grubs, I plan to dethatch again, aerate, put compost/peat moss on top, and then overseed. I know that grubs like hot soil and as the temps have fallen, I'm afraid they have gone deeper into the soil and I may not get them when I treat them.

Any thoughts/advice welcome. Thanks!

Here is a pic from May, I'll post one of the current condition as soon as I can.

Lawn shots -> first

and

second

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022