SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

The great big green pepper

meldy_nva
12 years ago

We normally grow our own green bell peppers; 3 or 4 plants provide enough for 4 months of fresh eating (I like them better than apples), and enough for the pizza sauce and creole-style sauce canned (about 4 dozen pints), and enough to chop or slice and freeze for winter meals, AND eventually the time comes when I plead with neighbors to take a few/couple/more, more, please take just a couple more.

For whatever reason, this spring only two seeds sprouted and rather than buy another packet of seed and wait for those to sprout, I brought a pretty little plant that claimed to be a Chinese pepper which would produce 6" peppers. I like big peppers. Planted and watered and talked to it, and it did grow ~ and is still growing ~ big peppers. About 8" long and 4+" across. They taste pretty good, although with a faint chili-spicy undertaste rather than the green taste of the bell types.

Oh, and the two home-grown pepper plants? So far, they've only made a half-dozen wee little peppers. I think they took one look at the big-pepper plant and then quit before they started. I'm going to have to buy peppers for this year's canning and freezing.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions