SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

On ode to sweet corn-----

gandle
16 years ago

But I have no idea how to compose one. I've been growing the bi-colors for the last few years and they are so good. I always pick 15 years, Leone always eats 3 and I (gulp) always eat 5. We freeze the corn from the other 7. I plant at 10 days intervals so the season is extended and we are looking forward to the old open pollinated Stowells Evergreen which is so slow and so darn tall the wind often blows the very tall stalks over but the flavor of the corn is really superior, not as sweet, but more of a true corn flavor and the color is white.

Oh, and fritters made from the freshly picked corn are so good I am always in danger of eating too many.

Tonights menu will be sliced tomatoes, cucumbers in sour cream, fresh beets, marble size with their tops, sweet corn and I think there is a cantelope that will be ready. Not sure we will need it after feasting on the other.

Love this time of the year when we can eat out of the garden.

The garlic is cured, the onions are curing and almost ready for braiding, there will be about 30 lbs. of them. We really don't need to can any more tomatoes this year but the stewed tomatoes will have to be replenished and more pickles to be made. Enough about food, making me hungry. Think I hear a tomato sandwich calling me.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions